My New Epson Stylus Photo 1500w (artisan 1430) !!!

Umberto Gladys

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3800
OK Guys,

Yesterday I made a set of test prints on Netbit Glossy (High Gloss) paper and Epson Premium Semigloss (Satin/Pearl) paper using the Original Epson Claria ink with dedicated Colormunki produced profiles.

This evening I refilled my first set of refillables with OCP K3 Vivid pigment (with photo black) and after producing the corresponding profiles on Netbit Glossy and Epson Premium Semigloss papers, I too printed a set of the same test picture.

Each ink set is printed twice on the same type of paper: one to be kept safely away in the dark boxed and the other to be exposed to sun light.

Now I am going to do the same with the inks I get from Costadinos (OCP Claria compatble dye refill ink) and the ones from Inkowl, which is supposedly pretty fade resistant, but I expect them to arrive next week.
What are the OCP K3 pigment ink model numbers you are using for your 1500W?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
the fading goes on - it becomes more apparent after a few more days that the EV6 ink cannot compete with the Fujifilm DL ink

Fade-1.jpg
that's the same target sheet as above, black of the EV6 patches turns into chocolade color, and cyan fading becomes visible as well.

I had one patch sheet left with the bottled Epson ink from an L300, and I added the patches with the EV6 ink onto the same sheet

Fade-2.jpg
Even the L300 ink, the black performs better than the EV6 ink, although the L300 ink was not reported as a fade resistant ink by WIR, or by my earlier tests 6 months ago.
I have another patch - not uploaded - comparing EV6 to a Coralgraph ink, they fade about at the
same pace, EV6 is belongs into a group of typical inks, Coralgraph, OCP etc which are suitable for Epson, and have a good gamut, but do not excel in the fading test.
If fading is important for you/for your printouts the only inks meeting this expectation are the Fujifilm Dralab DL inks, drained from the cartridges, and the Epson Surelab Ultrachrome D6 inks.

I have another comparison running with a Chinese ink claiming D3000 compatibility

Fade-3.jpg
This D3000 ink is so far the only ink in test staying close to the DL ink, and I'll continue the
test only with this one, the EV6 ink is out of competition. Please keep in mind, all dye inks
fade, most inks pretty quick, you can watch some turning brown in a short time, and a very few inks stay for weeks until changes become visible, and not already after a few days. And I'm not testing any other measures to prolong the fading time such as laminating, putting them behind glass, using transparent lacquers or coatings, gloss optimizers etc.

I don't know how the Inkowl fade resistant ink performs, only a test would tell.

Last edited:

SpartanWarrior

Printer Guru
Reaction score
the fading goes on - it becomes more apparent after a few more days that the EV6 ink cannot compete with the Fujifilm DL ink

View attachment 3347
that's the same target sheet as above, black of the EV6 patches turns into chocolade color, and cyan fading becomes visible as well.

I had one patch sheet left with the bottled Epson ink from an L300, and I added the patches with the EV6 ink onto the same sheet

View attachment 3348
Even the L300 ink, the black performs better than the EV6 ink, although the L300 ink was not reported as a fade resistant ink by WIR, or by my earlier tests 6 months ago.
I have another patch - not uploaded - comparing EV6 to a Coralgraph ink, they fade about at the
same pace, EV6 is belongs into a group of typical inks, Coralgraph, OCP etc which are suitable for Epson, and have a good gamut, but do not excel in the fading test.
If fading is important for you/for your printouts the only inks meeting this expectation are the Fujifilm Dralab DL inks, drained from the cartridges, and the Epson Surelab Ultrachrome D6 inks.

I have another comparison running with a Chinese ink claiming D3000 compatibility

View attachment 3349
This D3000 ink is so far the only ink in test staying close to the DL ink, and I'll continue the
test only with this one, the EV6 ink is out of competition. Please keep in mind, all dye inks
fade, most inks pretty quick, you can watch some turning brown in a short time, and a very few inks stay for weeks until changes become visible, and not already after a few days. And I'm not testing any other measures to prolong the fading time such as laminating, putting them behind glass, using transparent lacquers or coatings, gloss optimizers etc.

I don't know how the Inkowl fade resistant ink performs, only a test would tell.
Ok but where do you buy the Fujifilm Dralab DL inks, or the D3000 inks?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Go back in this thread to the previous pages - D3000 inks via Aliexpress - Fujifilm cartridges via Ebay US with various díscounted offers

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
After 8 days? well that's no good, thanks for informing;)

That’s the point of all theses tests, to show how one ink fades faster than another, but as already stated all dye inks fade that’s a fact, some more than others..:(

SpartanWarrior

Printer Guru
Reaction score
That’s the point of all theses tests, to show how one ink fades faster than another, but as already stated all dye inks fade that’s a fact, some more than others..:(
Ok I am also thinking of buying a pigment ink printer, which 3rd party inks would be a good choice?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550

SpartanWarrior

Printer Guru
Reaction score
you can run pigment inks on most Epson printers with a piezo printhead, you would need to profile the printer for these inks for a color correct output. Pigment inks had been discussed here

http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/powerchrome-k3-on-1500w.9497/page-2#post-76857

or http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/have-you-bought-the-epson-p800.10262/page-3#post-85790
I read you can use pigment ink in the Epson 1500W but I also read that you will have problems with clogging.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
you can read a lot, but you may try to run some tests as well in your environment, with your print schedule etc. Epson is selling lots of printers with pigment inks, all those with Durabrite inks and Ultrachrome inks. Clogged nozzles would not be specific with the 1500, because there are like always lots of factors, your print schedule, the inks you are using etc. I'm running one R265 since years with pigment inks, I print quite frequently, and don't see more cleaning needs than with another R265 for direct comparison which runs the Fujifilm DL inks at this time. So I cannot really give you a time indication that pigment inks may cause problems after 2 weeks or another time period, but only after 3 weeks with dye inks.