My new Direct drive Extruder..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I managed to get a direct extruder drive for my KP3 printer, so to test it out I printed a food clip in PLA first then used the Flexi filament second..
P1020334.jpg click to enlarge..
I used the settings for the PLA 50c bed and 215c hot end, then reset it to 65c bed and 260c hot end, the PLA worked out fine but the Flexi filament was just a disaster.

I only used the food clip because I didn’t have anything else suitable.

I printed both clips one after the other just to be able to compare the results, I needn’t have bothered, The Flexi filament just come out in bits of fluff and string, but it didn’t clog up the nozzle, so I was able to print PLA later without having to unclog the nozzle..
clip.jpg

I’m going to have another go a PETG later. It might work out a bit better.. Scratch one roll of Flexi filament, it’s not worth the bother using..

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Direct drive is something I often consider, but then I'm like "it ain't broke (for me) don't fix it)

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hmmm.. My guess is moisture in the filament
Your probably right about the moisture but if I have to make all sorts of special arrangements just to make a print, I’d rather not bother..

I can get and print anything I want using PLA, so I’m not for turning, it was a bit of a stab in the dark getting a direct drive extruder and I still ran into trouble, so is it worth all the extra messing around to get what I can already achieve with PLA.. ?

I will put this Flexi roll along with the PETG and ABS rolls away for another day, I’m all for experimenting but when it doesn’t work out, then it’s time to stay with what I know works, I’m all for an easy life that's uncomplicated.. My get up and go has left the building..
but then I'm like "it ain't broke (for me) don't fix it)
Exactly..

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Put it in a dryer, I think you have one and let it be until your energy level for it returns then go for it. Its a nice thing to be able to print TPU and I bet some of your projects could include parts that need seals or rubber wheels etc. ;)