My MAXIFY 5350 is on refill ink

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Now that you’ve gone to the expense of getting OEM, I wouldn’t waste this opportunity of getting the refilling correct and having clog and trouble free printing.

Just empty your cyan cart of the existing ink then rinse with water, then with W5 cleaner, and finish off the last rinse with a little alcohol.

The chances of you experiencing Yello Gello with this rinsing method will be minimised to zero, beside Yello Gello is not a fatal condition and is easy reversible by switching back to OEM ink for a short while.

I’m with you on this one @palombian, because I intend switching to these 56 inks too with my Maxify, starting with the large black cart.. But I’ll let you plough the road first this time..:)

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
@The Hat is right (again).
Just had Y clogged (with the octopus-office.de ink, sorry guys) and by switching to Canon (wide format) OEM it was cleared immediately.
C is already on these inks too but since I want to keep these precious inks for my PRO-10 it is time to start testing the 56 C.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have decided to buy a complete set of the Canon 56 inks next week, and try them in my Maxify, so in for a penny… :duc

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Octoinkjet CLI-42Y did not per your report.

For clarity the yellow jello was not an issue for our version 1 inks.

Flushing the cartridge with water alone was reported to set up the Gello by mikling and you. It was then presumed that the water in any ink would precipitate Gello. Your claim that your ink does not lead to Gello flies in the face of the current presumption.

Again some clarification on our position/experience needed.

1. I never presumed that water would cause the jello/gello issue.
1a. Use of distilled or deionised water does not create the jello effect
1b. Use of tap water or similar resulted in the CLI-42Y ink fixing in the sponge material and rendered it impossible to clean.

2. Despite our experience with the version 1 inks there was evidence that flow problems were still a potential problem regardless of the inks being used and we did receive reports of flow restriction over time.

3. This coupled with the knowledge that some customers could and were washing their carts with regular water led us to adopt the "avoid the problem altogether" approach and provide a CLI-8Y cartridge as a surrogate for a chip swap thus sidestepping any potential issues.

For the avoidance of doubt, we didn't test our version 2 inks for yellow jello like issues so we have no data on those either way.

For a bonus point... One of the reasons we started down the remanufacturing route was to provide flushed cartridges devoid of any trace elements of the yellow and potentially head off similar issues in the future with other ink blends/carts. We wash using a vacuum boiling process and cleaning solution to product really clean carts. Those with no trace of ink are reused and do not exhibit the jello/gello issue. Worth noting we only use carts that completely clean. Trace stain = instant rejection.

People have been refilling opaque cartridges using weight for years, including some with the 25x cartridges. Yet no reports on the forum. No one has yet commented on other forums reporting the Gello in the 25x or other ChromaLife+ ink cartridge (except, of course, the CLI-42Y).

So what are we to believe, lack of real world data or one guy's post (mikling) on 25x cartridges that no one has verified?

The whole point of this review is to caution on jumping to conclusions and to examine even long held beliefs not supported by verifiable or replicated results.

Absolutely agree. We could really do with putting more peer review and investigation back into the process and this community.

Having said all this, the Fates are considering making Pal and PeterBJ's fears come true just to mess with me! :hide

Of course... Those the gods would destroy n'all that...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Do you need some oil for the hinges on your wallet to get it open?
Oh my.,. @The Hat buying Canon OEM ink !. I never thought I'd see the day..
Yes I know, I can’t quite believe it myself.. :ep (More oil needed) but just goes to show this old fart can change his habits.. Canon profits soar..!
What's next .. maybe trying exotic kinds of filaments ?.
Exotic filament be dammed, I couldn’t afford to buy that stuff at those prices, I’m not made of money, despite my pending exotic purchase of OEM inks… and oiled Hinges..:)

Latest posts