My MAXIFY 5350 is on refill ink

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
In my experience with the Maxify, those ARCs won’t reset unless they’re declared totally empty by the printer, then the cartridge removed/refilled and reinserted. A partially full cart won’t do. Even a low ink yellow warning isn’t enough to trigger the reset routine. I tried once and it didn’t work.

Maybe other Maxify users here can say otherwise. All those chips seem to come from the same manufacturer so they should perform likewise but, who knows for sure ?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
In my experience with the Maxify, those ARCs won’t reset unless they’re declared totally empty by the printer, then the cartridge removed/refilled and reinserted. A partially full cart won’t do. Even a low ink yellow warning isn’t enough to trigger the reset routine. I tried once and it didn’t work.

Maybe other Maxify users here can say otherwise. All those chips seem to come from the same manufacturer so they should perform likewise but, who knows for sure ?

I know I broke the official procedure, but it happened several times the color carts were empty one after the other (IMO changing a cart uses much more ink than another printer).
Now that I know there is more ink in them than the chip shows I can wait until all are declared empty to refill.
So every 2 cycles the chips are right.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
As @Artur5 told 3 months ago, the ARC's only reset when empty.
I removed all 4 carts when one was without ink (=no printing) and topped them up.
Since I had some feed problems with the cyan, in particular when nearly empty, I flushed the cart and switched to a fresh bottle of (octopus-office.de) ink.
It is better now.

As long as the carts are full enough, the Maxify is a charm.
There is a difficult to understand pressure mechanism, and the OEM carts handle this best since they have a bag inside.
But no outlet valve, so refilling before empty is a real mess, the ink flows in the printer (Canon did a good job to scare off potential refillers :) ).
It takes also a long time plus one or two extra cleaning instructions (and I suspect a lot of ink in the - not exchangeable - waste container) to prime the printhead again.

I was reluctant to run the printer with chips showing empty, but you don't need to do any action to switch off ink monitoring and I have no indication the printer does more purges or takes other revenges.

So I play with the idea to install the refillable carts again and refill them via the plug in the back without removing them from the printer.

Last edited:

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I too have thought of trying this method with them in the printer but currently have OEMs with AC chips running. Are you saying that if one of the OEM carts with ARC chips show empty you need to fill all of them at that point or can you just refill the "empty" OEM and print until the next one goes empty?

Not being a heavy user I have only filled the OEM's with ARC's once so far and still have about 30% ink left according to the level indicators.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I too have thought of trying this method with them in the printer but currently have OEMs with AC chips running. Are you saying that if one of the OEM carts with ARC chips show empty you need to fill all of them at that point or can you just refill the "empty" OEM and print until the next one goes empty?

Not being a heavy user I have only filled the OEM's with ARC's once so far and still have about 30% ink left according to the level indicators.

With ARC's you and I handle the carts as Canon prescribes: change them when one goes empty.
That's the only way it works.
But first of all you risk the domino effect, second I saw also some issues as cross-contamination with refilled OEM's almost empty (less than with refillables IMO).
I do about 2 months with a 2500XL refill, but I am always happy when it's done.

If you refill the (not yet empty) other ones the chip will not reset and you loose ink monitoring.
With transparent refillables you have visual control.
In my experience you need to keep the levels high and equal, so maybe this is more a hassle than topping all 4 up every 2 months.

I would advise everyone to buy the printer with 2500 (2200 in US) carts, they are only 3 cm higher and not so much more expensive.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Yes, I also saw the contamination, mostly with the Cyan. When the first cart shows empty I will refill it and see what happens with the cleaning cycles. After that I will decide whether to continue with the OEM/ARCS or like you maybe try refillable ARC carts again and make up syringes attached to fine plastic tubing to allow filling of the carts in the printer.

I agree with your thoughts on the carts - definitely buy the 2500 carts.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Some ink contamination too with my MB5150 and OEM refilled carts. After refilling any of the four carts, the nozzle test usually shows a bit of magenta in the lower part of the yellow stripes, specially the one at the bottom. A cleaning cycle takes care of this, Probably printing anything would fix it as well.

My refill procedure follows Canon’s instructions because, as @palombian said, ARC chips only reset when declared empty. Printing mostly black text, CMY inks see very little use, so the dreaded domino effect is kept to a minimum ( or so I hope.. ).

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
In my experience the contamination happens when there is a big difference in ink level.
Sometimes it is the colour with the lowest level that invades the others, but I can't build a theory on it.
Maybe the OEM carts are loaded with an exact volume and (negative) pressure we can't reproduce.

To flush the unwanted colour I prefer printing plain cyan, magenta or yellow pages, this ink does not go in the waste container.

steven.va

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MAXIFY MB5050
Hi Palombian,

So, it might be a good idea to try the Chinese refillables again?
And just refill them when the chip declares empty.

I remember you had some leak issues with them in the past?
Did you also have leaks/contamination when filling them when the ARC chip declared them empty?

Currently have the refilled oem with arc chip installed.
But might be tempted to try the chinese color carts again, when needed.
I notice some slight color contamination, when the printer has sit idle for a while.
It does however clear up, without much trouble.

Has the chinese black cartridge given trouble in the past?
I imagine there would be no problems of cross contamination with just using the Chinese BK cartridge?

Greetings!