My MAXIFY 5350 is on refill ink

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
In my experience with the Maxify, when the red X appears on screen (but no error ) and I remove the cart, it's always totally empty (62 gr for a PGI-2500XL black, 47 gr for the other colors ).
So my ..ahem.. theory :rolleyes: is that this red X appears when the flow control system at the bottom of the printhead detects no more ink coming from the cart and the ink level stored in the chip has reached already the low condition (yellow warning)
Instead, if the chip hasn't triggered yet the yellow warning but the flow control system sees no more ink, then an error pops in the screen instead of the red X.

I bet that @The Hat won't buy my theory more than that of José..:D
I do not share your opinion either :D.

Since you can't reset ARC chips yourself - it happens only when reinserted after been empty - when you do not wait this moment (the orthodox way) and top up all carts at once, chip and real ink levels are out of sync. I can print weeks with a red cross sign (because I know the cart was refilled recently).

So I think the only reason for ARC's - versus empty OEM's - must be the printer won't clear empty errors without a chip indicating ink.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Or didn't Jose shut down his printer yet ?
No he hasn’t, he doesn’t believe in powering off the printer when not in use..:hu
I bet that @The Hat won't buy my theory more than that of José..
On the contrary, your theory is as good as I’ve heard yet and quite plausible too.. :hugs
Apparently it has been removed or disabled ?
Possibly it’s only a temporary problem.
That’s a pity… :lol:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
So I think the only reason for ARC's - versus empty OEM's - must be the printer won't clear empty errors without a chip indicating ink.
I top off my cartridges when one becomes empty, and I still get the out of ink message on carts that are almost full, so I either have to disable the ink monitor, or pull out the offending cart and reinsert again to cause the ARC chip to show full again..

Then I can print again..

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I never ever disabled ink monitoring in my Maxify's.
Must have another type of ARC's, since they only reset to full when they have been empty.
Do these printers adapt to the habits of their owners ?
Something strange here we have to sort out.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Must have another type of ARC's
The two basic types I am familiar with are the ARC chips that reset to full anytime you pull the cartridge from the print head and the other are ARC chips that require the cartridge (chip) be marked as empty first and then pulled from the print head to reset.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I never ever disabled ink monitoring in my Maxify's.
Nether have I..
the other are ARC chips that require the cartridge (chip) be marked as empty first and then pulled from the print head to reset.
That’s the ones I got.. because I have to wait till the printer declares them empty, before removing to enable them to reset..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Nether have I..

That’s the ones I got.. because I have to wait till the printer declares them empty, before removing to enable them to reset..
I don't think there are others.
The printer just counts them down until empty and raises the yellow and red flags, without further consequences when you negate those.
When you top all carts at once, some will contain more ink than the chip indicates and the sensor in the printhead never will have to raise the red flag.
If it is able to do this - it should be tested by sucking empty a cart with a "full" chip.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If it is able to do this - it should be tested by sucking empty a cart with a "full" chip.
As the great New York Yankee baseball catcher once said, "It's like déjà vu all over again."

Sounds like the testing tried to fool the then new CLI-8 and PGI-5 ink monitoring system.

Artur and Jose have theorized different ink level monitoring systems so why not give it a try.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I don't think there are others.
The printer just counts them down until empty and raises the yellow and red flags, without further consequences when you negate those.
When you top all carts at once, some will contain more ink than the chip indicates and the sensor in the printhead never will have to raise the red flag.
My experiences with those chips don't match yours.
As I said, when the red flag appears and I remove the cart (only the one declared empty, not the other three) it's really empty. I always check the weight and it's 62-62.5gr for the black cart. If I try to extract ink from it, I get just a bit of foam in the syringe.
I'm pretty sure we both use the same chips. As you say, there seems to be only one type and in all likelihood all Ali-Express vendors purchase them from the same manufacturer.
My explanation about our different experiences must reside in the fact that I replace the carts as advised by Canon, only the one declared empty and you remove the four carts at once. Therefore, the ink levels stored in the memory of your chips almost never matches the real amount of ink.
Does it really matters all this ARC mumbo jumbo ?. Probably not, as long as the Maxify keeps working fine.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Does it really matters all this ARC mumbo jumbo ?.
No it doesn’t, but it just goes to show you how different it can be for other users..
Probably not, as long as the Maxify keeps working fine
My Maxify and me are very happy with the new Canon bottled inks..