My MAXIFY 5350 is on refill ink

bluestang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, EpsonArtisan730
@The Hat What is your opinion of using the refillable carts from Precision Colors with the Canon MegaTank Maxify ink you're using? Seems like the PGI1200 doesn't come in that "V2"/Diaphragm version, only the larger PGI2200 and I really didn't want to jump up to the MB5120 for $100 more.

Last edited:

Feldrod

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MAXIFY MB5150
If the ink your using is rubbing off or smearing on normal glossy photo prints, then that ink is the wrong type, (most likely its Matte instead of Photo black) and if you take your time when removing the cart chips, there is no need for any glue to be used, they normally just stick back on securely..
As I have written - I bought ARCs and refillable cartridges separately. The model I bought was without chips.
The little plastic poles that the chip is pressed on were too thin, thus making the chip wiggle.

For clarification : At first I thought about using my alternative cartridges for refilling but then I changed my mind, and as I had my ARC chips already at home, I just bought chipless refillables.

I had the smearing issue also with OEM cartridges. I remember precisely that I bought ColorCopy glossy A4 paper, the prints did smear even after hours of drying time and then I tried to print on my GP-501 which did smear too.

All inks I've put into my Maxify were smearing on both ColorCopy and on GP-501. OEMs (the STARTUP set), three different alternative cartridges manufacturers and now InkTec. All are pigment. And the InkTec has no offer for "matte" printing.

The ink does smudge only when I run my finger over it, with as much pressure as is needed to press down a regular membrane keyboard, but it still smudges.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Sounds like you have it figured out. Good luck. :thumbsup

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@The Hat What is your opinion of using the refillable carts from Precision Colors with the Canon MegaTank Maxify ink you're using? Seems like the PGI1200 doesn't come in that "V2"/Diaphragm version, only the larger PGI2200 and I really didn't want to jump up to the MB5120 for $100 more.
What I heard was the compatible carts from PC have a tendency to leak, much like most other cheaper compatibles, incorrect filling is usually the culprit and OEM carts are still the best for the Maxify, but if you’re not careful refilling them they will also leak.. You can get aftermarket pre filled carts instead..

P.S. The bigger cart Maxify models are a much better buy..

I had the smearing issue also with OEM cartridges.
You must be one in a million, because I’ve never had smearing on any glossy paper with 3rd party or OEM inks.. O’ and ColorCopy is made specify for laser printers, but you could try changing your media setting over to glossy paper..

Feldrod

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MAXIFY MB5150
What I heard was the compatible carts from PC have a tendency to leak, much like most other cheaper compatibles, incorrect filling is usually the culprit and OEM carts are still the best for the Maxify, but if you’re not careful refilling them they will also leak.. You can get aftermarket pre filled carts instead..

P.S. The bigger cart Maxify models are a much better buy..

You must be one in a million, because I’ve never had smearing on any glossy paper with 3rd party or OEM inks.. O’ and ColorCopy is made specify for laser printers, but you could try changing your media setting over to glossy paper..
I know that ColorCopy is made for laser media, however printing dye from old MG3050 does produce prints that do not smear. Text does smear also as the black ink is pigment.

The GP-501 is inkjet optimized (at least that what is says on my package) and does smear no matter what ink I used, unless, again, I used dye-based ink from MG3050 (the prints look horrible though but that's because of absolutely ruined printheads)

I always thought it is to be expected on pigment inks? I know there are pigment-specific glossy papers and it is advised to use them because of said smearing when handling the photo. And I remember Epson showing off their Durabrite as it was manufactured to, regarding other things, not smear so much on regular glossy inkjet paper.

EDIT:
Can confrim the leaking tendencies of compatibles. The compatibles that were leaking were the ones without any diaphragm inside, which I found after "dissecting" them. The ones with diaphragm gave me zero leaking issues. However my last set I used had problems with contamination (my yellow cartridge turned green inside - I took it apart after changing to refillables). The other issues - like drying up and clogging nozzles - I believe were from low-quality ink (what can you expect from $3 cartridge).

So far no issues with leaking on my "v2 refillables" but I gotta admit that the filling process is not really simpler than refilling OEMs. In OEMs you just stick syringe/cartouche inside the ink port, suck out air, press some ink in and repeat until cartridge is full. With refillable V2 you gotta do the process as I described it earlier.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The GP-501 is inkjet optimized (at least that what is says on my package) and does smear no matter what ink I used, unless, again, I used dye-based ink from MG3050 (the prints look horrible though but that's because of absolutely ruined printheads)

I always thought it is to be expected on pigment inks? I know there are pigment-specific glossy papers and it is advised to use them because of said smearing when handling the photo. And I remember Epson showing off their Durabrite as it was manufactured to, regarding other things, not smear so much on regular glossy inkjet paper.
You are using the wrong type of ink in your printer to get those results..
You can say what you like but these are the facts..
JPG.jpg click to enlarge..

bluestang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, EpsonArtisan730
The Setup carts can hold the same amount as the XL carts? Reason for asking is I see a lot of the OEM Setup carts for a nice price on eBay.

Feldrod

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MAXIFY MB5150
The Setup carts can hold the same amount as the XL carts? Reason for asking is I see a lot of the OEM Setup carts for a nice price on eBay.
They do. Also you will get a Setup set with the printer itself so no need to buy another set, unless you want to have one refilled set on the hand for quicker operation
You are using the wrong type of ink in your printer to get those results..
You can say what you like but these are the facts..
I am not saying what I like but what I experienced.
The fact is that I experienced smearing with OEM, three different alternative manufacturers and now InkTec ink on regular Glossy paper.