My MAXIFY 5350 is on refill ink

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Since the Maxify has no draft setting
There is a Quiet setting in the Maintenance tab for my MB5120. Maybe this setting will slow down printing similarly to your High Quality setting and you can once again print Blacks without issue in Standard Quality.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
There is a Quiet setting in the Maintenance tab for my MB5120. Maybe this setting will slow down printing similarly to your High Quality setting and you can once again print Blacks without issue in Standard Quality.

I always print with this quiet setting, otherwise the printer is too noisy (mainly the paper transport).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I always print with this quiet setting
So, do you get the Black ink starvation while on Quiet mode while on High Quality setting? Exactly what settings do you get this ink starvation and what settings do you not?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@The Hat has not said anything about ink starvation of any color. He uses the Alibaba cartridges.
I tried this test print to see what results I could get on my Maxify.

I first printed ten sheets on standard mode, and I got ink starvation on the first 3 or 4 sheets but then the rest printed out ok. (Just the Magenta)

I tested 10 more sheets, but this time on high quality and each sheet came out as the first, perfect I use quite mode on all my printers...

Cartridge Test..jpg click to enlarge....

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I first printed ten sheets on standard mode, and I got ink starvation on the first 3 or 4 sheets but then the rest printed out ok. (Just the Magenta)
What image are you using for your test - the image you posted?

Once I have the same image you used I will try your test on standard quality settings to see what happens with a new printer and its new OEM cartridges. Should I use Quiet mode or not for the test?

PS During one multipage duplex print job of eight or so pages of an mixed text/graphics article, the printer paused with the page half sucked in before resuming print a few seconds later. Not sure what the pause was for - data spooling, ink drying, chip fart, whatever? Hasn't happened since.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
@stratman One of the differences I noticed between the Octopus carts and the Aliexpress was that the Ali type have a spring loaded valve in the outlet. I had more luck with the Ali carts (less leaks) but have now gone to OEM carts with ARC chips. So far so good, except currently the Yellow has banding if printing in Standard mode but perfect in High quality :idunno

Another tip. To free up the carriage, instead of doing the print and switch off plus rotating the plastic gear you can do the following:

Select - Clean rollers from the Maintenance menu. As soon as you hear the printer starting the cleaning switch it off. The carriage is now free and can be moved by hand.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I’m using OEM carts refilled with Inktec black ink and OEM ink for cyan, magenta and yellow.
My settings for getting black starvation are: plain paper and standard quality mode. ( quiet or not quiet it doesn’t makes a difference in output, only in speed and noise)
Printing in high quality mode and/or using any photo paper as media setting gives perfect results.

A “torture” test for this situation might be the attached image with pure solid black, yellow magenta and cyan colors. Any kind of starvation in one or more channels should be apparent at once.
If it turns out that @stratman and other people using OEM not yet refilled carts have no issues with these settings (plain paper and standard mode) then we must conclude that there’s something wrong with the refilling technique or third party ink of people with “starvation” in OEM refilled carts ( like @palombian and myself ).
Or maybe it is that those carts can’t be refilled with total success, no matter what we do, because Canon has managed to achieve an insidious design that nobody can fool. @mikling should chime in and give us his informed opinion,

All summed up, Maxifys are great but quite different from our old Pixmas. We have to learn still a lot about them.

Attachments

• CMYK.jpg
    CMYK.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 257

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I’m using OEM carts refilled with Inktec black ink and OEM ink for cyan, magenta and yellow.
My settings for getting black starvation are: plain paper and standard quality mode. ( quiet or not quiet it doesn’t makes a difference in output, only in speed and noise)
Printing in high quality mode and/or using any photo paper as media setting gives perfect results.
Excellent information. Thank you, Artur5.

Seems whether one uses OEM Canon cartridges (palombian and Artur5) or Alibaba aftermarket cartridges (The Hat) that all experience ink starvation of one color or another when printing in Standard Quality. The fix is to print using High Quality setting (or photo setting). Also, there is no difference whether printing in Quiet Mode or not.

Waiting for @mikling to add his 2 cents on the performance of his cartridges in Standard Quality setting.

As Artur5 says, the ink starvation begs the question of whether refill strategies need to be tweaked or that some other factor is in play, such as material tolerances, pressure differences within a new OEM vs any refilled cartridge, or whatever???