My MAXIFY 5350 is on refill ink

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I couldn’t switch off the machine pressing the power button, like my other Canon printers did when they were in service mode.
The reason why you couldn’t turn off your printer after failing to get it into Service Mode, is simply just that, but you did manage to lock out the function buttons, the only fix was to power off the printer by pulling the power cord out of the wall.

A Service Tool will only detect a printer when it’s actually in Service Mode, otherwise it will fail to function and give an error..
I also think the service tool should not be tested on the Maxify before needed. What if it ruins the printer?
I dis-assembled my new Maxify when I first removed it from its carton and got straight down to removing the waste ink tank, this was before I had put in any ink cartridges.

Then I checked to see if I could get the printer into Service Mode, using the push button sequence, but I failed with every combination mentioned in a video, I had Service Tool V37xx or something, but I didn’t get that far to test it.

It was a no brainer to do that at the very start when the printer was new, because I'd never used the printer, I wasn’t going to miss it if I FUBAR it, I reckoned it was worth the risk, I too had to power off the printer by pulling the power cord out of the wall...

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I know that when you can't get the printer in service mode, any version of software tools is useless. Anyway, if the machine isn’t in service mode, why it can’t be switched off pressing the power button ? (or why the computer can’t see it ?).
I conclude that messing with push buttons without entering really in service mode puts the printer out of normal operation, in a sort of sulky unresponsive mood that can be cured only by a drastic pull of the power cord. Them pesky Canon machines seem to possess an insidious vengeful nature...:D

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
@palombian, I bet you didn’t realise how popular your thread would be. :love

It was about the size and volume of a 1 litre bottle...

I would like to see more experiences from other people :).
Later models, firmware versions ...

I suspect the Maxify does a big purge after cartridge change to create a negative pressure and needs a big waste ink tank.

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Searching around, I see now that there’re different versions: MBXX5X machines and PGI-2500XL carts for Europe, MBXX2X printers and PGI-2200XL carts for North America..
Meaning of course that PGI-2200XL chips won’t work on Maxify printers for the European market. More chances of being sold the wrong chip if the vendor is a bit careless.

A question to Maxify owners : How do you like the output tray?. I read a review of a guy who rated the printer poorly because he said that the tray won’t hold more than two or three sheets of paper before starting to drop them all over the place. Probably he didn’t open the tray completely or something because none of the other reviewers says nothing about it but, just in case, could you elaborate a bit ?.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
The output tray has a flap, when you turn it up it holds easily 50-100 pages.

I only miss a single sheet feeder. I write my occasional envelope by hand again (or print on A4, cut and glue).

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks @palombian.
It seems that this guy was in such a hurry to try the printer that he hand't time to read the quick start guide to see how to open the flap.
Curiously, he had plenty of spare time to write a review..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

steven.va

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MAXIFY MB5050

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
The dot pattern of the Maxify is so rough, I suppose the nozzles are large enough to accept every ink.
I opted for the more expensive octopus-office.de ink since I would have the best colours possible (and I never would empty 1 ltr Inktec bottles).
Not that Inktec ink should be inferior.

PS: my ink has no gloss difference or bronzing on glossy photo paper

Last edited: