My Canon i9900 won't power on.

ItsKimi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi there,

My Canon i9900 will not power on. I purchased a new power cord to make sure that wasn't the problem. Still no luck. Any suggestions? I'm wondering if it is more likely to be the board or the power supply pack itself.

Thanks!
Kim

ItsKimi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Jackson,

It doesn't do anything at all. No lights or anything.

Kim

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I was assuming that the head was bad and powering down the printer.
Is it possible to flip the lid up and gently (without forcing) pull the print head to centre, remove the ink carts, then release the print-head lock down lever, remove the print head, put the lever back down, close the lid and try to power up?
If the printer senses the head is missing it should start flashing the led.

ItsKimi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I tried to do this after reading your post, but the print head won't budge. I know when it has power I am able to pull these to center, but without it I just am not able to. Does mean it's done for?

ItsKimi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Jackson, I thought I should mention this too. After the Canon i9900 stopped working, I borrowed my mom's HP 5560. It worked fine during that first day, but when I came back the next day the ink light was on and it would not power on. I have scanned my PC for viruses with Norton and online with BitDefender. I'm completely lost on this one.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
It's possible that you are getting line power voltage spikes that is taking down your printers' power supplies. It's truly odd that two printers go bad consecutively and I suspect the two events are closely related.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
No chance that the outlet is going bad?
Plugging the printer into a different outlet does nothing?
Two printers, same problem?

ItsKimi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Mikling...so perhaps it is just the battery pack on the Canon then? It's funny you say that because we did have a power outage due to the ice last weekend. With the HP, I plugged it into the same plug as the Canon, only the ink light did come on but no other power.

Jackson, I bought a new power plug and plugged it into a few different outlets.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
There's no telling if it is simply the power supply or if the spike may have caused damage further up the circuit. It may be just the power supply. If you did not think yourself, I'd be reluctant to advise you go poking around inside the 9900 power supply yourself. Take it to get serviced, the printer is too good to put to rest.