MX925 - Missing bands on the nozzle check pattern

def3

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX925
I've just put in a new printhead for my MX925 and the middle magenta and cyan aren't firing on the nozzle check pattern.

Could this be a mechanical or electrical fault?

Any help appreciated on where to look.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210724_0002_03.jpg
    IMG_20210724_0002_03.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 236

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
May I ask where you bought the print head? Only buy printheads from regular dealers of Canon spare parts. Printheads bought from Ebay, Amazon, Alibaba etc and located in China are often used and defective printheads that are cleaned to look like new and packaged in counterfeit foil bags and cardboard boxes.

It looks like the QY6-0086 printhead used in the MX925 is still available from regular dealers.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, Def3.

The 2nd and 3rd stripes of Cyan and Magenta are missing/bad. This is typically an irreparable electronic failure of either the print head, the logig assay board or both. I'm not sure that the rest of the nozzle check is proper either.

https://manualzz.com/viewer_next/we...5_1-b4db9748ab1c348d568c9e0beb5079cc&ads=true

It would help if you could crop your image and repost. We don't need to see all the unprinted portion of the paper.

Why did you install the new print head? What exactly was wrong?

As @PeterBJ said, there are used print heads being sold as new. Buying a used print head is risky unless you can see a nozzle check or there is some kind of warranty if bad from the start.

Please post the link to where you purchased the print head.

What ink do you use - OEM Canon or an aftermarket ink (what brand/link)?

def3

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX925
Thanks for the replies

I bought the Printhead from CRC-Tasktron

Ink is OEM carts refilled with Octoink

I've rescanned and cropped the nozzle check.

I fitted the new head as I was getting blurry lines on the PGBK.

So if this is a logic board issue that could also have affected the printhead. The printer is pretty much landfill fodder?

Attachments

• IMG_20210724_0004_03.jpg
    IMG_20210724_0004_03.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 222

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I bought the Printhead from CRC-Tasktron
I have read on the forum that this is a respectable business. They do have a policy on print heads:

1627137072192.png

https://www.crc-tasktron.co.uk/policies

A little confusing on the refund policy, but worth your time communicating with them.

Your initial post seems to say the print head never worked properly from the start. Your only issue with your last print head was "blurry lines on the PGBK". Do you have a nozzle check showing this? If the vertical lines were splitting into two, like railroad tracks, then that is due to warping of the nozzles from too much heat and is irreparable.

You can bypass using the PGBK and continue to use the printer by selecting a Media type other than Plain Paper. Plain Paper uses the PGBK ink cartridge. By choosing a Photo Paper setting then the printer uses the colors CYM to make black. It won't look as deep black, the font will not be as crisp, and the Dye-inks are not water resistant. But the print will still work well otherwise.

Regardless, if there were no other issues with nozzle checks than the PGBK and now the PGBK is good but missing Cyan and Magenta, then either the print head is bad or the logic assay board is bad. It is rare but possible that an electrical malfunction in the print head can then cause an electrical malfunction in the logic assay board AND vice versa.

Do you still have the old print head with the bad PGBK issue? If so, then put the old print head back in the printer and run a nozzle check. If only the PGBK issue is present then the new print head is most like only affected and the logic assay board is OK. If the old print head now shows missing C and M then you know the logic assay board is bad.

Report back your results.

Last edited:

maximilian59

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1000, Pro-100s, Xp-7100
If don’t get your money back, I would give the head a second try. Do a standard cleaning, print a nozzle check, do a standard cleaning again and a nozzle check again. If the problem still exists, take the head out and clean it in distilled water by letting it soak over night in 2 to 3 mm high water.
Try it with kitchen paper and star above procedure again. If still nothing shows I agree the head is faulty.

def3

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX925
I have read on the forum that this is a respectable business. They do have a policy on print heads:

View attachment 12475

https://www.crc-tasktron.co.uk/policies

A little confusing on the refund policy, but worth your time communicating with them.

Your initial post seems to say the print head never worked properly from the start. Your only issue with your last print head was "blurry lines on the PGBK". Do you have a nozzle check showing this? If the vertical lines were splitting into two, like railroad tracks, then that is due to warping of the nozzles from too much heat and is irreparable.

You can bypass using the PGBK and continue to use the printer by selecting a Media type other than Plain Paper. Plain Paper uses the PGBK ink cartridge. By choosing a Photo Paper setting then the printer uses the colors CYM to make black. It won't look as deep black, the font will not be as crisp, and the Dye-inks are not water resistant. But the print will still work well otherwise.

Regardless, if there were no other issues with nozzle checks than the PGBK and now the PGBK is good but missing Cyan and Magenta, then either the print head is bad or the logic assay board is bad. It is rare but possible that an electrical malfunction in the print head can then cause an electrical malfunction in the logic assay board AND vice versa.

Do you still have the old print head with the bad PGBK issue? If so, then put the old print head back in the printer and run a nozzle check. If only the PGBK issue is present then the new print head is most like only affected and the logic assay board is OK. If the old print head now shows missing C and M then you know the logic assay board is bad.

Report back your results.

The old printhead did have the splitting into two, with the warpped nozzles.

I used the photopaper work around for quite a while, but then decided to just buy the head.

I don't have the old printhead.

The new work around is to print plain paper in standard settings. High or photo paper settings give out weird colours.

def3

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX925
Just tried some new carts. Still not working 😔

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
While the upper and lower cyan/magenta stripes in the nozzle test seem to be OK, the middle stripes are totally blank. If it were a cart problem it would affect also the two other cyan and magenta bars. It doesn’t seems like clogged nozzles to me but electrical malfunction.

Have you tried to install back the first printhead with faulty pigment black, as wisely advised by @stratman ?