MX870 Unhappy With Aftermarket Ink

0x0

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a Canon MX870 that has been very unhappy with the ink that I have been providing it. It usually gives me a error stating that it can't recognize the ink tank. To remedy this situation, I have to open the cover, wait for the print head to center, and reseat the tank. Often it takes a few reseats of various tanks and then the printer will print. I'm guessing that the cheap chips on the ink tanks are to blame, the OEM stuff didn't pose this problem.

So, I'm wondering if there is a solution to this issue (other than forking out 50% of the printer cost each time to fill it) or barring that, can someone recommend a multifunction wireless printer that you can use aftermarket ink with?

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Welcome to the Forum, it has many helpful members :)

That doesn't sound like the ink is the problem, more like the dodgy chips on the 3rd party ink tanks are the problem.

To remedy the situation I would...

1 Get a set of OEM carts, either empty or new. If used and dried out you can flush them easily - just search the forum for info.

2 Get a resetter if you don't already have one.

3 Buy good quality ink. It is available from several well respected companies that forum members have used. Just have a search in the forum.

The OEM 520 and 521 carts perform well and can be refilled many, many times.

Each time you take out a tank and reseat it the printer does a cleaning routine that uses ink, so the carts you have are not only proving annoying to use, but also wasting your ink.

I'm sure others will also have some ideas on how you proceed.

Good luck.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
It seems some aftermarket cartridges can be problematic & touchy in our printers that's why most refillers here only use original cartridges & refill them with good quality inks which are still very cheap.
As Red said you will need to get a chip resetter (about $20) & the refilled cartridges will act like new ones & monitor the ink levels.
You could also try some other brand of compatible cartridges if you don't want to refill yourself. You could try InkOwl, just click on the link top right of this page & don't worry that the owner has a girls name:)

0x0

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to refilling the ink tanks. Can someone recommend a chip resetter?

I'll take a look at the InkOwl.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
0x0 said:
I'm not opposed to refilling the ink tanks. Can someone recommend a chip resetter?

I'll take a look at the InkOwl.
Where abouts in the world are you?

*just be able to help a little more as we might be able to suggest a local supplier/option.