Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Since it is out of warranty try and reset the eeprom:
- enter service mode:
Start with the printer OFF
1. Hold down RESUME and then hold down POWER
2. release RESUME (while still holding down the POWER)
3. press RESUME twice, then release POWER
4. The green light will blink and the printer will make some noise. Wait until this is finished, you are now in the printer's
diagnostic mode.
- run this software https://rapidshare.com/files/3330412996/ServiceTool.exe
- click on "EEPROM clear"
- press POWER to turn the printer off, then again to turn it on.
- return with results

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hawkeye249 said:
Thanks for your reply and attempts to assist!

When I View Printer Status in addition to the expected screen an additional popup opens advising "Paper is jammed at the paper output slot"

Selected Display Print Queue and queue shows - with no entries.

When I select Printer, Pause printing is dim - not an active option.

When I select Document, no options are active.

When I try to run the Nozzle Check, the same popups appear as with Printer Status.
OK try this:-
Cut a piece of paper 5cm wide and manually feed it into your printer till it stops at the little feed rollers which are visible just in front of your print head.
Then turn on your printer and see if the printer will react to the presences of this paper and if it does then eject it manually with the feed button.

5128_inside_of_printer.png

emmaachile

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
On my ix4000, the service tool does not respond. The printer attempts to pick paper once it is turned on even when disconnected from the laptop. Tried all available means and it seems it may be end of the road for the printer.
The lights are blinking three times in orange and it all points to the paper jam.
i suspect the rollers are not fit properly. See picture below

8500_ix4000.jpg

8500_ix40002.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
On my ix4000, the service tool does not respond.
The printer attempts to pick paper once it is turned on even when disconnected from the laptop.
OK lets start: - what exactly do you mean by the Service Tool please explain.
Have you tried putting a sheet into your printer manually when the printer is powered off as described in Post # 9 ?
Looking at the pictures of your printer everything seems quite normal as it should be.
Please give us an update but dont write off your printer just yet.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
emmaachile said:
https://rapidshare.com/files/3330412996/ServiceTool.exe

I downloaded the service tool from here. I get an error message when i want to perform any operation. I use Windows 7 though.

I have tried it. The paper passes thro it but stops at the exit where it rolls up instead of coming out on the tray. I will post pixs later.
Well that is good news then.
That means there is something caught under the front rollers, otherwise your paper would just pass through the printer without stopping.
On the issue of your Service tool. Exe why do you need it at all, can you not just access the display Print Queue in your View Printer Statue..:(

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi emmaachile

Your printer is of the PGI-5/CLI-8 generation and no service tool is required to perform service mode operations. The service tool is necessary for performing service mode operations on newer printers using the PGI-220/CLI-221 cartridges.

What you need is a service manual for your printer. Using Google I found this: http://www.gzhengwei.com/uploadfiles/CANON PIXMA iX5000 iX4000维修手册.pdf

Be aware that there is a serious error in this manual, regarding service mode operations! On page 1-17 a very important item 5 is missing. The missing item 5 should read:

5) After the function (menu) is selected, press the Power button. The LED lights in green, and the selected function is performed. (When the operation completes,
the printer returns to the menu selection mode automatically.)

I don't think clearing the EEPROM will clear the error, but you will lose information on when the printer was first installed, pages printed, head alignment and more.

I have lost that info on a Pixma 5200 and made an unexpected and unwanted ink absorber reset on a Pixma 4200 because the manuals for these printers have the same error. The service manuals for Pixmas 3000, 4000 and 5000 are correct.

After completing the first four steps nothing happens, and if you start pushing buttons, what happens depends on what operation you accidentally select, before hitting the power switch. Service mode operations + Trial and error = A bad idea.

Edit: the link doesn't seem to work. The original URL contained some Chinese letters, maybe that's the reason. You can read the manual online here for free, but to download it, you will have to join the site : http://www.scribd.com/doc/38366974/Canon-PIXMA-iX5000-iX4000-Service-Manual

To download the manual you could try a Google search on "canon ix4000 service manual" The link to gzhengwei.com including Chinese lettering works from the Google search, but something goes wrong with copy and paste.

emmaachile

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks. I will check the printer this morning for what is stoppin the paper from coming out.
I have the service manual for the ix4000.