MX870 says paper jam in output tray - NOT

Hawkeye249

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi!

New here, old chronologically.

I have a Canon Pixma MX870 that tells me there is a paper jam in the output tray. There is not.

Slightly over a year old, so out of warranty.

It doesn't come to a ready to print state, so I can't run the cleaning steps.

Lightly used and always with Canon cartridges.

Took out the cartridges and print head - all look good and no paper/foreign matter behind head.

There is some ink on the rail the head slides on.

I suspect either that ink on rail is causing the problem or there is a broken sensor.

The last paper I successfully printed on was Epson photo quality ink jet paper, letter size.
One page fed crooked in the rear tray but stopped with only a bit inside and was easily removed back out without a tear, just a slight crease.

I used a photo paper setting when I printed, but it is low end paper. Suspect more ink was used than appropriate for said paper.

While waiting for helpful reply, I will use swabs to gently clean the slide rail and continue trying to find a broken sensor.

THANKS IN ADVANCE to anyone who assists!
Bob

Cleaned the rail, replaced the print head and cartridges, powered on = same LED message:

ERROR

Paper output slot

The paper is jammed.
Clear the paper and press OK

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The last paper I successfully printed on was Epson photo quality ink jet paper, letter size.
One page fed crooked in the rear tray but stopped with only a bit inside and was easily removed back out without a tear, just a slight crease.
Your printer is telling you that you have a paper jam because it never completed the print job that you sent to it.
By pulling the paper out of the back you may have knocked a sensor out of place,
so you could try putting a small strip of paper into the feed tray by hand and jiggling it around inside
in the same area (side) where your previous paper had got the crease in it.

The other thing you could try is to go into the printer setup and cancel the print job that failed to print
and then re- boot your computer and also your printer second..:)

Hawkeye249

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply!

Tried inserting & jiggling paper.

Although the problem started several days ago and both devices had been shut down, tried the rebooting.

Also, per Canon website, removed & replaced cartridges and print head with power on. (When did so previously, power was off.)

When closed top nothing happened before same message displayed.

Very annoying because I have not mistreated this printer. Has only been used to print documents on plain paper, envelopes, and a handful of pictures.

Will wait until Monday and call Canon service for advice.

Bob

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hawkeye249 said:
Thanks for your quick reply!

Tried inserting & jiggling paper.

Although the problem started several days ago and both devices had been shut down, tried the rebooting.

Also, per Canon website, removed & replaced cartridges and print head with power on. (When did so previously, power was off.)

When closed top nothing happened before same message displayed.

Very annoying because I have not mistreated this printer. Has only been used to print documents on plain paper, envelopes, and a handful of pictures.

Will wait until Monday and call Canon service for advice.

Bob
Have you checked to see if the original print job is still in the Print Queue or was that deleted? :)

emmaachile

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my ix4000. Paper jam error while actually nothing is in the printer. It started after a Paper jam problem and has never cleared away. The paper feeds badly and halfway then stops.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
emmaachile said:
I have the same problem with my ix4000. Paper jam error while actually nothing is in the printer. It started after a Paper jam problem and has never cleared away. The paper feeds badly and halfway then stops.
If your printer can feed paper in and then it stops then that would strongly suggest
there is something stopping your paper from feeding properly.

There is a bit of paper or some other foreign body in there that you cant see so I would suggest
you shove a strip of heavy paper into your printer paper feed and jiggle it about to see
if you can locate the spot where this object is lodged and then maybe try to remove it..:)

Hawkeye249

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
"Have you checked to see if the original print job is still in the Print Queue or was that deleted? :)"

Cannot get to Setup menu to cancel in printer. When powered up paper jam message appears on LCD and no input except OK allowed.
Print job in PC canceled long ago.

I have a Canon Pixma MX870 that says there is a paper jam in the output slot ... and there is NOT a jam.

Purchased it Sep 04, 2010. Called Canon service on Oct 31, 2011.

Canon: "Sorry, it is past the one year warranty".

Called the nearest authorized Canon repair facility and was told they handle a large number of paper jams and they almost always turn out to be jammed paper or something dropped into the printer. Repair fee is reasonable, but they are about four hours away. Maybe I'll stop in during my next vacation ...

This printer has been GENTLY used. Mostly letter size paper with some envelopes and a very few pictures printed.
It is the secondary printer. The primary is not wireless and about four years old. I was waiting for the primary to die of natural causes and then planned to make the MX870 our full time printer.

Removed cartridges and print head - nothing abnormal detected.

Used a shop vac to give it a large blast of air everywhere. Nothing came out.

So, being a "loyal Canon customer", I purchased a new MX870 at a reduced price with free shipping.

I would really like to fix the printer and be finished purchasing printers for a long time.

Today, 11/03/2011 10:00 am, the two MX870's are sitting side by side for comparison.

My "old" printer is just about as clean as my new one.

And they look identical inside.

Disappointing that what has to be a minor repair is not disclosed by those in the know.

There are several printer manufacturers and my loyalty to Canon is dwindling ...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannot get to Setup menu to cancel in printer. When powered up paper jam message appears on LCD and no input except OK allowed.
Print job in PC canceled long ago.
When you tried to print the sheet jammed and you removed it ok.
The fact remains that the sheet you removed did not continue through your printer so the printer
is still waiting for the sheet so it can complete the print job hence the error message paper jam.

Now if can follow these instructions carefully:- then right click on the printer icon in your control panel and go into properties
and click on the button View Printer Status and then click the button Display Print Queue

5128_print_queue.png

Next is to click on the word printer and then select cancel all Documents wait one minute and then select pause printing.
That now should cause the printer to show a new message:- saying the printer cant continue until you can cancel the pause printing, but dont not yet.

First put a plain piece of paper in the rear paper tray then go back to the Canon MX870 properties and click on the nozzle check,
then click the pause printing again and the printer should then print once again normally.

I deliberately caused a paper jam in my iP4500 to recreate the same problems you were having and
by using the above instructions managed to get it back working once more, so try this yourself..

Hawkeye249

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply and attempts to assist!

When I View Printer Status in addition to the expected screen an additional popup opens advising "Paper is jammed at the paper output slot"

Selected Display Print Queue and queue shows - with no entries.

When I select Printer, Pause printing is dim - not an active option.

When I select Document, no options are active.

When I try to run the Nozzle Check, the same popups appear as with Printer Status.