Mx870, chip reset no longer works on majenta...

Rickkins

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Been rolling along great until today... and now for some reason majenta reset fails... tried two different carts.

Others filled up fine this afternoon.

Thoughts...???

Rickkins

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Actually tried a third now, the original one that came with the printer... did the chip reset, installed it, same error msg "printer cannot recognize cart' etc.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Maybe it’s not the cartridge chips at all that’s at fault here but in fact the resetter itself !

Depending on the age and how many times you have used your resetter, the battery may have given up and your going to need a new one battery, they can be picked up very cheaply..

Rickkins

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a usb one. The orange one. Don't think it has a battery... at least I don't see one, but I'll unscrew it to be sure...

Thanks.

Edit: Ok, I checked... no battery.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If the problem is only with magenta cartridges, the cause could be the contact springs for the magenta cartridge in the print head carriage. They could have come out of alignment or be contaminated with ink. Ink residues are conductive and can cause problems. This is the reason for the the advise to first reset the cartridge and then refill it. Also the reset before refill serves as a check that the resetter and chip are functioning properly.

Here is a picture showing the contact springs in the print head carriage in a Pixma 4200. Your print head carriage might be different, but still similar:

6881_ip4200_printhead_carriage.jpg

I suggest to check that the contact springs for magenta are not bent or contaminated with ink.

Last edited:

Rickkins

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok, I'll put the printer on the bench and check those springs this am.

Carts are oem, I've been using them for 3 yrs.

Rickkins

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Crapage, Got in there with my headlamp and a mirror. All pins straight and clean. For good measure I took some contact cleaner and a q-tip and gently cleaned them... no change.

Rickkins

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
So, I gotta wonder.... is the printer snokkered...?? I see prices for a new print head make it more likely that I'd buy a new printer.

What would a good replacement be...?? I am partial to cannons. And I think I'd go with a continuous supply system which I guess would avoid this issue in the future, so suggestions there too would be helpful.

Thanks..!!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Let’s not be to hasty about getting a new printer just yet, new isn’t always better when it comes to printers and CISS systems are not as good as there’re make out to be, cartridges are much better.

Try this little exercise first, remove the cartridges and print head and power off with the On/Off switch and then pull the power plug from the wall.

Now reverse this procedure with first the power plug then the On switch, ok start like you were installing the printer for the very first time, install the print head and close the top lid Watch the on screens messages as you progress.

Now install one cartridge only and close the lid then do the same with the next cartridge, continue doing this but remember to put the magenta cartridge in second last, then when complete check and see if you now have all of the cartridges recognised and back working.
Report back on how you got on..