mx860 purge info conflict?

chas045

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I recently posted about my mx860 printing very poorly and the responses suggested that the problem was likely to be a defective purge unit. However I had left a question about the logic of this diagnosis that appears to have been overlooked. I am hoping that someone knows something about the following conflicting information. It was described at the end of my original thread 'mx860 purge or clogged'.

Quick background of original post: nozzle check often shows very poor displays. MX860 display design is pigment grid followed by 3 cyan bands followed by 3 majenta bands and a yellow and black. Changing carts will sometimes bring a band from non-existant to perfect. The two lighter cyan and majenta bands are usually non-existent but even now, occasionally appear (poorly) and then almost immediately disappear again. The black grid and ink printout is often horrible (almost non'existent) but briefly improved to almost perfect before losing a few more grid marks.

After reading about purge diagnosis, I added windex to the purge pads and found that liquid would drain from both pads in a few seconds. I tried this three times with identical fast draining. This produced a clean white left pad. they became dark black again as soon as the head reparked and I got some of my best recent prints afterwords. The quick drain suggests that the purge unit is probably disconnected, however there is a conflict with this reasoning and I did not get an answer to the following question.

ALL the purge diagnostic info. states that the purge unit CANNOT drain by itself because the hoses are curved upwards and liquid should stay on the pads if the purge unit is failing. Now, grandad and I both assume that the purge trey must or may be disconnected directly below the trey. But again, info says this isn't possible. SO, have purge units been redesigned in the mx860 (and others) or might something else be going on?? Is there a semi-easy way to look under the trey without tearing everything apart? I have triggers repair stuff for my old mp830 for general pictorial reference.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
chas045

Reading over your nicely worded thread it is easy to note your frustrations on not being able to get your printer working again.
But as far as you not getting the correct information to solve your problems are concerned well that not quite correct.
ALL the purge diagnostic info. states that the purge unit CANNOT drain by itself
because the hoses are curved upwards and liquid should stay on the pads if the purge unit is failing.
Now, grandad and I both assume that the purge trey must or may be disconnected directly below the trey. But again, info says this isn't possible.
If the Windex wont stay on your pads then the purge unit is defective i.e. the hoses on the underside of the pump have being disconnected.

Both yourself and Grandad35s assumptions were correct a (duff purge unit) and despite what youve heard
elsewhere this diagnosis is a pretty accrete one.

Is there a semi-easy way to look under the trey without tearing everything apart? I have triggers repair stuff for my old mp830 for general pictorial reference.
I hate to say this but there isnt its a rolled up sleeves and Latex gloves job,
just prepare your working area before you start, good luck..