MX700 L.C. Display and other problems.

shadow

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MX700
I disassembled my Canon MX700 to clean out a mess of ink and I think I ruined a ribbon terminal on the c.b.
The lc display has a purple raster. Also when I turn on the printer I hear the print head cycling then a
constant knocking noise.
I have a new printer but I would like to save the mx700 if possible. I have downloaded the service manual
but without the display info I'm screwed.
I would appreciate any help to figure out my problems.

Thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
My sympathies to you, so can you get a junk one in a garage boot sale or on Craig’s List and use that for some good spare parts..

shadow

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MX700
My sympathies to you, so can you get a junk one in a garage boot sale or on Craig’s List and use that for some good spare parts..
Hi Hat,
I take it from your responce that there is no one on this forum that has this technical experience.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
the MX700 is a quality machine, similar to the MP830 as far as build quality, PGI5/CLI8 carts, only 4 carts, does not have a CLI8-BK and i believe it can not do duplex.

http://www.cnet.com/products/canon-pixma-mx700/

i have 2 canon refurbished MX700's in my list of spare printers

still waiting for my 7 year old MP830 to die, now over 60,.000 pages printed

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MP830, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Hat,
I take it from your responce that there is no one on this forum that has this technical experience.

@shadow far from it, there are quite a few experts amongst our brethren, but as I said if you don’t have replacement parts then any help offered would be useless, but keep trying anyway and don’t give up on it..

shadow

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MX700
@shadow far from it, there are quite a few experts amongst our brethren, but as I said if you don’t have replacement parts then any help offered would be useless, but keep trying anyway and don’t give up on it..
Thanks Hat,
I'm a "waste not, want" kind a guy, and it's just another learning project.

Gil

shadow

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MX700
Thanks J,
The MX700 is a quality printer. That's why I hate to give up on it. I was hoping for some feedback to better understand how to trace the circutry. I didn't disassemble the the top unit, but doing so might allow a check thru the ribbon termanal. Thanks to PeterBJ's link I was able to get the service manual.
Keep me in mind J, I might have some parts down the road.

Gil

shadow

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MX700
Thanks J,
The MX700 is a quality printer. That's why I hate to give up on it. I was hoping for some feedback to better understand how to trace the circutry. I didn't disassemble the the top unit, but doing so might allow a check thru the ribbon termanal. Thanks to PeterBJ's link I was able to get the service manual.
Keep me in mind J, I might have some parts down the road.

Gil
The shadow is back.
With a follow up. I didn't quite give up on fixing my MX700 but I did purchase a new Canon MG7120. I searched
the net for the best printer for my needs and had several in mind when I started checking the stores. My first stop was Staples but I didn't care for their specials. Wall mart was just next door but I had discounted them from their ads, but I stopped anyway. When I found the printers there was a couple loading one in their cart but
were still questioning their choice. I offered to check the bar code on the red lable with a $69.00 price. Then
I realized they had a MG7120. I told them that it normaly retailed for $200.00. After the couple left I asked the sales gal how long the price would last and she said probably permanently, they had over stocked and there were a lot of them back there. I got two. One for my sweety.

Back to my mx700. Hat said "don't give up on it". I remembered different threads mentioning a knocking sound
but no solutions. I have the same thing for 30 seconds after the print head cycles. What problem does the knocking indicate?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
shadow said:
Back to my mx700. Hat said "don't give up on it". I remembered different threads mentioning a knocking sound
but no solutions. I have the same thing for 30 seconds after the print head cycles. What problem does the knocking indicate?

It maybe that your timing strip has either got dirt on it or has fallen off the holding clips, this strip is used to tell the printer where the print head is at, so that maybe that's the source of your knocking, it’s worth a try.. :confused:

upload_2015-3-16_17-19-54.png

shadow

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MX700
It maybe that your timing strip has either got dirt on it or has fallen off the holding clips, this strip is used to tell the printer where the print head is at, so that maybe that's the source of your knocking, it’s worth a try.. :confused:

View attachment 2550
Thanks Hat,
The timing strip should and does look clean. The sequence follows:
Print head from center moves left then cycles 3 full passes without knocking.
Pauses at home to right, starts cycling again and knocking also the black and yellow cartridges flash red.
Print head stops at center and continues knocking and flashing for 15 seconds.
All stops