MX 870 printer not printinng the color

Iprintstuff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals

I bought mx870 never had problems with the oem but the ink finally ran out. I bought the refillable cartridges on online ( think i spent $50) I manage get 2 solid refill on them I notice the ink smells different compared to the oem. On the 3rd refill, I started to get streaks or fade after 3 days so I decided I had to clean the printhead (using syringe to push alcohol solution and distilled water) it worked fine and 3 days later it did the same thing. So I cleaned the printhead one more time. It would print all the colors on the test print but after that no color just the pigment black and black prints.

I even swapped the oem cartridges back in, they have the reset chips with them right now. When I tried to put oem cart with oem chips I get an error saying: Cartridge is not all the way in (but its clicked in fully?!?).

Only think I can think of is the print head is damaged? or another thing I did before the colors stopped printing was I mixed the oem black cart with the refillable color cart with reset chips on the 4th refill. I'm not sure if it might of messed up the printer for mixing oem chips with reset chips (I have have read after I did this T_T that the refillable cart must be used as a set. I can try to do a hard reset on my printer maybe?

Whats weird is when I take out the cartridges on all the colors, I open the plugs I notice the vacuum effect because the ink reservoir drops lower. When a drop is about to form I put the cartridge quickly back in the printhead, When I do a test print it will print the colors but it stops after on the next 2 or more test prints.

So far my guess would be Printhead, or printer malfunction for mixing the oem with refillable.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The link doesn't seem to work. I get an error 403 - Forbidden when clicking it.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Iprintstuff
I advise to you is to start over again by dumping all of these compatible cartridges, ink and chips.
Then revert back to your OEM cartridges with their original chips reinstalled.
Purchase some new good quality inks and also a resetter.
Now when you reset and fill the OEM cartridges you should have little or no problems printing.
Good luck..:)

Iprintstuff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks The Hat, I'll keep your advice in mind and I'll follow thru once i get some money saved up. The price for a set of new ink cartridge and new print head its as much as a printer (just $30 dollars more xD) I guess I'll buy me another new printer later down the road and leave the other one as extra! :D. I guess after reading alot on the forum your right on about sticking with oem cartridges, quality ink and a resetter. I'm really impressed with the print quality on the mx870 on photo prints, pretty darn good for an office printer. But a higher dpi means smaller nozzles? or just more nozzles? (maybe both!) either way, its a higher chance of getting clogged if bad ink gets in there or dries out etc, but it prints very fine in exchange I'm guessing.

My second option right now is to buy another cheap printer I'm looking at mp495 as a temp (60bucks but ink are more expensive), even though my mx870 isnt working I can still scan and fax which is all I need for now mainly just office functions, thanks to those arc chips xD.

Iprintstuff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
panos said:
If you replace your refillable cartridges with a full set of OEM cartridges (even your depleted ones), does this message still appear ?

edit: are your refillable cartridges these ones (video on the bottom of the page) ?
I havent tried it yet. I'm on extreme budget (very embarassing, I know). I tried putting in the old oem carts but I dont have a chip resetter (I defintely need to order one). All of them read, except for the Magenta, and Yellow. It says: ''Cartridge isnt all the way pushed in'' but its pushed in and the red light blinks. I guess only way to find out is to buy new set of oem carts.

Iprintstuff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Another observation I notice is my after market ink that came with my refill carts compared to the oem ink. The after market when it dries its shiny and flaky, dipped in distilled water over night it softens but it still together, it dissolves but not completely. When I dip the oem cart plugs over night, the oem ink just about dissolves completely and cleanly no small flakes, compared to the aftermarket that I'm using. I got the kit from amazon. not sure if anyone can give me feed back if they've had any luck using this type of brand ink. Ill upload a pic maybe

Iprintstuff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Tudor said:
I watched the video. One thing I notice with those aftermarket cartridges with arc, is his light up when he puts them in. Mines didnt but my printer still allowed me to print. I think might of gotten cheap brand its from amazon it was 39.99 it shows up when you type in ''mx870 refillable cartridge'' it comes with 5 ink bottles. not sure if this helps. If anyone can give me feed back on this of either success or fail I'd sure like to know.

LeeE

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Iprintstuff said:
I havent tried it yet. I'm on extreme budget (very embarassing, I know). I tried putting in the old oem carts but I dont have a chip resetter (I defintely need to order one). All of them read, except for the Magenta, and Yellow. It says: ''Cartridge isnt all the way pushed in'' but its pushed in and the red light blinks. I guess only way to find out is to buy new set of oem carts.
I agree with "The Hat" about trying the original OEM cartridges. You shouldn't need a resetter to try them (this just allows them to indicate the proper ink level after refilling).
If the indication is the cartridge is not detected, It could be caused by the contact fingers on the cartridge board not properly mating with the printer contacts.
This can be caused by getting ink or debree on them, requiring them to be cleaned (I've used alcohol and a cotten swab to clean them). You may want to remove the printer power cord if you clean the printer contacts
If they still don't work after cleaning perhaps the board on the Magenta, and Yellow cartridge is defective.
If you had previously removed the little board from the OEM cartridge & put it back on, it may not be properly aligned. ;)