MX 870 printer not printinng the color

Iprintstuff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
LeeE said:
Iprintstuff said:
I havent tried it yet. I'm on extreme budget (very embarassing, I know). I tried putting in the old oem carts but I dont have a chip resetter (I defintely need to order one). All of them read, except for the Magenta, and Yellow. It says: ''Cartridge isnt all the way pushed in'' but its pushed in and the red light blinks. I guess only way to find out is to buy new set of oem carts.
I agree with "The Hat" about trying the original OEM cartridges. You shouldn't need a resetter to try them (this just allows them to indicate the proper ink level after refilling).
If the indication is the cartridge is not detected, It could be caused by the contact fingers on the cartridge board not properly mating with the printer contacts.
This can be caused by getting ink or debree on them, requiring them to be cleaned (I've used alcohol and a cotten swab to clean them). You may want to remove the printer power cord if you clean the printer contacts
If they still don't work after cleaning perhaps the board on the Magenta, and Yellow cartridge is defective.
If you had previously removed the little board from the OEM cartridge & put it back on, it may not be properly aligned. ;)
I cleaned it no luck :/ but it was worth a try. Atleast the black still prints lol. Upon that I took the printhead apart (I was curious, after reading Grandad's post I was motivated :D) I took it apart twice and put it back together only thing I notice is the silicone seal inside (between the ceramic plate and the plastic top piece) once you open it dosent get a too good of a seal since it was compressed and opened (maybe I should leave it apart and see if the silicone seal will reshape itself. I was stunned that the actual ceramic part and nozzles is not clogged at all (the colors) I held it thru the light and you can see them clearly.

I think I'm going to start a new post to show the pics ( thanks to Grandad for taking one apart successfully. I got curious also and wanted to try lol).

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Iprintstuff
My second option right now is to buy another cheap printer I'm looking at mp495 as a temp (60bucks but ink are more expensive), even though my mx870 isnt working I can still scan and fax which is all I need for now mainly just office functions, thanks to those arc chips xD.
It looks like its back to square one for you now because the best thing you can do is to get a new printer
as it would be far cheaper than buying a print head and cartridges..:(