MP830 Misbehaving

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Printed about 50 pages of pictures and text plus several CD's yesterday. Refilled a couple cartridges too. All was well.

Today, turn on printer after booting up and the LCD screen wanted a language selected. That was new. So I choose English and then the LCD screen said a Printer Head Alignment was required and to insert a sheet of paper in the autoload paper feeder in the back. So I did and let the printer align the print head, which worked as expected.

I then went to print a nozzle check and noted that my printer was "online" with a copy of the MP830 printer and the FAX. The original was "offline". I deleted the copies, deleted the originals, shutdown the computer and turned off the printer. After rebooting, no Canon MP830 in Printers And Faxes in the Settings window, but after turning on the printer, the "new" hardware was recognized and installed. I did a nozzle check and all seemed well at this point.

I then went to print a CD and the printer would suck in the CD Tray as usual but kept spiting the CD Tray back out and gave an error message of No CD Tray inserted. repeating the procedure ended up the same, even with a brand new CD Tray. I note a click/thump as the CD Tray is being spit back out.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
iP4XXX said:
You might have a look here and see if anything helps......

http://pixma.ulmb.com/?p=176
Thanks for the link.

I entered Service Mode and printed out a Service Test Print which was very odd - all counts were back to ZERO except for the one page of the service test print I just printed out. There should be thousands of pages printed, hundreds of Duplex printings, numerous cartridges installed, plenty of CD's printed! My Waste Ink Amount is D= 000.1 - that's not helpful. I also printed out the EEPROM Information Print which was equally of no help.

Now it gets strange yet again. I powered off the printer to exit Service Mode and then powered back on, tried to print a CD and it WORKED!

Basically, I did nothing that should have "fixed" the issue. Did I wipe the EEPROM???

What the frack happened? Not only was Windows Printers And Faxes Settings duplicated for the printer, but the EEPROM seems to have been wiped clean. It became hot and humid again today but no lightning strikes or power surges I know of and the printer and computer were powered off without current draw (UPS and surge protector turned off) since last night.

About the only thing I can think of besides a failing printer logic board or some such part is that I need to replace my CMOS battery.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
It sounds like your printer decided to do a factory re-boot which I didn't know they could do. But since everything is working again, I guess you can just continue to use it, hoping it doesn't happen again.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
ghwellsjr said:
It sounds like your printer decided to do a factory re-boot which I didn't know they could do. But since everything is working again, I guess you can just continue to use it, hoping it doesn't happen again.
Could be the portent of something catastrophic is soon to happen. Sad to this beauty die.

Printed another disk now without problems. Will keep using the printer till it fails or I drop.