MP830 Loud Ratcheting Noise

rocker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank-you everybody for your help! I will recheck the top of the purge unit later today and report back.

rocker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have finally been able to get back to my printer problem. I tried cleaning the whole purge unit area with Windex on a toothbrush as suggested, however the noise-making is unchanged. Afterwards, while testing it with the cover open and the "cover open" switches defeated, I noticed that at different times in the cycle of pre-printing preparation and post-printing preparation the print head may be either at the far RH or elsewhere when the ratcheting noise occurs. In one instance the noise was occuring while the print head was in the far RH position and then the print head moved smoothly to the center WHILE THE NOISE CONTINUED. I could also see that at one point in the preparation cycle (after powering the unit up) while the print head was in the center, the carriage containing the 2 ink pads and the 3 wipers made a cycle forward and back (no noise at that time). Even though all the suggestions for possible causes have been very logical, I think that this confirms that the problem is not directly related to the movement of the print head (it is not sticking or hitting anything). It seems to me though that it still may have something to do with the purge tank, as the noise seems to be coming from that general area. I will admit, however, that nobody knows less about printers than I do!!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I am sorry that none of the suggested easy fixes worked for you and your printer is still sounding angry.

You may have to pull off the right-hand side cover to investigate it properly to see
and observe the offending gear in action, not easy but now possibly the only way left.

rocker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have the RH cover off (thanks to the earlier link to manuals), but I can't really see anything. The logic board covers that whole side, and it appears that the metal side of the machine underneath the logic board would still block my view if I remove the logic board (except for a couple of small holes it covers the whole side as shown on P. 1-34 of the service manual). Any suggestions?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
With the RH side panel off do you not get a better idea where the sound is emitting from, I imagine you would.
On page 1-33 you can see in behind the logic board.. :)

rocker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
On page 1-33 it does show behind the logic board, but they have had several pages of disassembly before that, as if the printer was going to be totally disassembled. I had simply removed the RH and LH side covers, and there is very littly of the inner workings visible. I can peak through one of the small holes beside the logic board and see the top of the white gear that is slightly left and lower than the red circle shown around the screw in page 1-37. When the noise occurs that gear is vibrating (not turning) and I would assume it is supposed to be turning at that time, but it might be vibrating because of something fastened to it. It would seem that the problem DOES stem from the area under or beside the purge unit, but it would appear that access to that area would involve major disassembly.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Yeah, purge unit's are a REAL dig to access! You might as well wash out or change the waste ink absorbers if you're going that far in...

Wayne