MP830 - Looking for detailed disassembly instructions

canon-do

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-L3551CDW
I want to print some CDs with an MP830 that hasn't been used for two years.

After reading several threads here, I've got as far as a complete clean-up of the print head, but I think I may as well go all the way and do a full job on the entire ink system.

So I could do with a screw-by-screw manual on the breakdown process.

Incidentally, it doesn't much matter if the CD printer is the only process that continues to function on the MP830. I also have a Brother mono laser and a Canon MX726, so those two are adequate for my print, scan, copy and fax jobs.

Thanks for reading :)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
See this thread by @jimbo123 , and notice the links to translated druckerchannel.de articles. A service manual and a parts catalog will also be useful.

Depending on your location a region change and possibly removal of a mechanical blocking part might be necessary to enable CD printing. If you need to change the region or reset the waste ink counter using service mode operations, be aware that there is an error in the service manual. See this warning before attempting service mode operations on the MP830.

Missing print on the nozzle check could be caused by the print head and/or the cartridges and/or the purge unit. Here is how to check the function of the purge unit, posted by @turbguy in another thread.

But before taking the printer apart, what is the problem? Could you upload a scan or photo of a nozzle check?

Last edited:

canon-do

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-L3551CDW
Thanks, PeterBJ. I'd already scanned the linked thread (and druckerchannel articles) but I wouldn't like to attempt a dissection of the 830 without more detailed information than was shown in the jimbo123 posting. Apart from anything else, at 75 I don't need the stress of shooting in the dark like that :). I might have had a crack a few years back (I'm a retired PC builder and tech) but now I prefer to take the easiest way. Like, 'take out screw #1, picture here...' and so on.

Re my reason for stripping the machine down, it's kinda anal, if you know what I mean. Like, I prefer to 'get things right', if it's possible, rather than just do a quick patch-up. The 830 was working fine two years ago, other than a slight 'groaning' noise occasionally (which I ascribed to a lack of grease somewhere) but I bought a wireless MX726 to better suit my home network and the 830 was prematurely consigned to storage.

But recently I got re-fired up with printing CDs, so decided to refurbish the old girl. I started with the print head, which is now pristine, but I'd rather clean out the purge areas and soak pads before I go further. Another point is that I need a full set of cartridges, as the old ones are very grotty, and I don't want to dish out $50 or so (I've been using compatible carts, at $9 each, for the last 5 years or so) until I know the print head cleaning has worked.

So, I really would like to get my hands on a good manual before I proceed. Any ideas?

PS: Thanks for those other links, I'll examine them with interest :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
A forum member named Trigger 37 sold manuals. I haven't seen him on the forum in a while and it looks like you've already reached out to him. FYI - if you want to have a forum member informed of your interest in alerting them then use one of two methods:

1) Type "@" (without the quotation marks) followed by at least the first three alphanumerics of their user name. A list of all members containing these first three alphanumerics will pop up at that point and you can select the appropriate member with your mouse. An "Alert" appears on the top right hand side of their scree telling them someone mentioned their name as well as a link to that thread. Example: @canon-do Did you see the Alert on the top right hand portion of your screen?

2) Start a "Conversation" with the member. This is a private message between the members you select to receive the message. Click on "Inbox" at the top right hand of the screen to open up the Conversation page. Then click on "Start A New Conversation" to choose the members to send your private message to as well as type your message. They will be alerted similarly as in #1 above.

What others have done when dissembling their printers is to use their digital cameras and take a photo of every step they took along the way to have a personal guide to reassembly. Write any notes you think may be relevant to aide in reconstructing your printer. This might be your best method besides the guides and experiences of others on this forum.

If the printer appears to be working fine, and the waste ink pads are not too filled up per the print out done after entering Service Mode. See section 3-3 et al of the Service Manual found at http://www.wraithtdk.com/filedump/MP830/Canon PIXMA MP830 Service Manual.pdf

If the waste ink pads (absorbers/diapers) are not too full then consider not opening the printer to wash the pads out. It has been written that the waste ink absorbers can tolerate a SINGLE RESET of the counter and not overflow. You will get an error message on the LCD screen on the printer when the waste ink pads are full. If you do try this single reset method I would consider placing a tray of some type under the printer just in case ink does overflow since this ink will not only pool in the bottom of the printer but also leak out onto whatever the printer sits on. The WAF (Wife Appreciation Factor) is infinitesimally low for this result.

Last edited:

canon-do

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-L3551CDW
Stratman, thanks very much for your tips about 'conversations', I seem to have managed to do this now. Thanks also for the link to the Service Manual.

I'm still thinking about doing the full 9-yards breakdown of the 830, but I'm also considering a 'quick-fix'. As I said, the print head is now ink-free.

I read somewhere that it's possible to fill a whole set of empty cartridges with warm water and then go through a cleaning cycle. Any mess won't matter because the machine is on my dirty workbench and is likely to stay there. I guess I could even drill a few holes in the base plate to allow overflow to escape.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated :)

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
canon-do

i PM'd you trigger's email, his manual did help me in my 830 waste pad tear down a few years ago, see previous thread for links

the 830 is a quality machine ans well worth saving. i've been running them for 9 years now, they were built for quality, not like the recent canon models.

i have had the scanner unit go on 2 of my 830's over the years, so i've had to swap scanner units several times. used to take me an hour now under 10 min.

i just picked up a 830 with a 5100 error for $10 + $25 shipping. it arrived yesterday so i swapped over the scanner and have another 830 all set as a spare set in the event my current one dies. had one 830 print 63,000 pages before it died.

the 830 that arrived yesterday was very clean inside so i knew it had not been used much, so i tore into the chassis to take out the ink absorber pads in the bottom, so to have a spare. they were 98% unused all white, so now i have a spare set in case i need one. tearing into the chassis to get to the pads was easy since i knew i was not putting it back together.

as a bonus, my $10 printer came with 5 new unopened genuine canon ink carts.

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MP830, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I read somewhere that it's possible to fill a whole set of empty cartridges with warm water and then go through a cleaning cycle.
I have tried original formula Windex with Ammonia-D filled cartridges in the past with variable success. This method adds fluid to the waste pads, some of which evaporates but some may also cause a dribbling mess as it thins out the ink already in the waste pads. Judicious use of this method seems reasonable to try.

Better yet, why not try The Hat's method for trying to unclog a print head -- water with a little bit of "Fairy washing up liquid", known to us in the USA as Dawn original formula and maybe a dash of original formula Windex with Ammonia D. Patience is a virtue as you may need to soak for many hours - days.

Flush the print head with water (before and after the soaking step), using distilled water as a final rinse especially if you have hard water, and then let dry thoroughly to prevent the electronics from being shorted out when you reinstall and turn on the power.

And last but not least... whatever @jimbo123 says on handling your MP830 is solid advice. :old Jimbo is The Man when it comes to that printer.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
speaking of sucking, this 830's purge unit was completely clogged up.

it came loaded with aftermarket ink carts and with a sealed "Staples" brand PGI5 cart. i only use genuine canon carts so planned to toss out the Staples branded PGI5.

for fun i weighed the new sealed carts:
- Genuine Canon PGI5 - 1.8 ounces
- Staple brand PGI5 - 1.6 ounces

not that weight equates to quality, but shows how others most likely cut corners to gain a price advantage

genuine canon ink carts from this era can be refilled many, many times over

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MP830, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have to agree with @stratman, anyone that can get 63,000 prints out of any Canon printer is by far :bow“The Man”, that’s amazing especially when you consider it was all achieved while using refilled OEM’s, (Another accolade to Sir Jimbo) I once got 25,000 from an old Epson on compatible carts and I taught that was awesome, but it pales into insignificance to @jimbo123 increments..