Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
haha.... "the interest of science" doesn't have to deal with my wife! :D :cool:

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I think I'd rather get the new MP600, you can still refill the carts with no problem and they have generic carts now that have a place for the little microchip, you just need to remove it from the Canon carts.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
jtl said:
Update. If anyone has a warranty claim on a 780 it is going to be replaced with an 830. Apparently Canon has run out of 780 refurbs. If people are buying these on ebay for more money than the 830 can be purchased for they should be aware of this.
Canon's suggested price for the MP830 is $300 and aside from the chipped cartridges, this is a great printer. It has almost twice as many nozzles so it should print almost twice as fast, especially for color, than the MP780. It also has a much larger memory so you can collate many more pages and it allows you to copy double-sided documents from the Automatic Sheet Feeder. In addition, it has a color display and you can print directly from a memory card from your camera. It's more compact and nicer looking than the MP780.

If only Canon had waited until after they produced the MP830 to switch to the chipped cartridges!

jtl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
GH,
you are correct. I was thinking of the 810. Now what do I do? Canon is sending me a replacement for my 780 which was acting strange at first but now is working fine. It powered off by itself and I had to unplug from the wall to reset it. Unfortunately, I have a full set of OEM carts and 2 full sets of G&G carts from Alotofthings.com that wont do me any good in the new printer. I think with shipping I have about $180 in the 780. Not having to deal with the chips is the reason I bought the printer, but maybe that isn't a big deal since I am not a high volume user. Looks like the best price online is around $260, shipped. Carts anyone.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
jtl,

Maybe if you call Canon they will let you take time to send one of the printers back so you can see if the MP780 is really working and also let you use up the ink in your cartridges. Who knows? They might even let you keep both printers. What are they going to do with the MP780? Send it as a refurb to someone else? Let's hope not.

Did you know you can use the color cartridges from the MP830 in the MP780? For some reason they will snap into place but the pigment black cartridge won't. I hope Canon never discontinues the BCI-6 forcing people to buy the CLI-8 at about a 40% increase in the cost of ink.

Good luck.

jtl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I may just drag my feet returning either one and try them both out. What can they do, it's not like they have my CC info. I probably would jump on the 830 except for the VERY pricey ink. I looked online and saw figures like $20 per cart!!

GH,
How long have you had your 780? Has it been reliable?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I got my first MP780 three months ago and yes, they have been reliable. But I have had my MP760 for two and a half years and aside from getting the scanner replaced under factory warranty, it has been very reliable. I have had my iP4000 for a year and a half and it has never had a problem. I just got my i9900 six weeks ago.