MP750 Display Dead

Zoot

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,

My daughter managed to rather derange the various sections of her MP750 yesterday by dint, presumably, of some rather rough handling whilst replacing a cartridge. When she gave up and came to get me to look at it, the scanner section had come out of its hinges.

I managed to get it all back together and it's printing OK but the display is now dead. I'm pretty certain one of the ribbon cables to the top section came detached from the lower part of the machine during all the messing about with the scanner.

Before I start removing screws at random to try and fight my way in, I thought I'd ask if any of you chaps know how to access the connectors at the bottom of the ribbon cables. Maybe I need to buy one of Trigger37's manuals. I have checked Ebay but they don't seem to be listed at the moment.

Regards,

Stephen

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

The MP750 service manual can be found by searching Canon_PIXMA_MP750_MP780_SERVICE_MANUAL.rar file. Good luck with your display.

Zoot

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I have followed your advice and now have the service manual and the parts list. As has been reported on this forum, the service manual doesn't help with dismantling the machine. The spares list gives a few clues so I'm going to print that out on the wife's IP4000 and read it in bed.

While I'm on the subject; the wife's IP4000 keeps going offline. You have to switch it off and on again to get it back online. None of our other printers do this. Technology eh?

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
There are instructions at this German site on disassembly of MP780. I think it will be the same for the MP750 since these two models share the same service manual. Good luck!

http://translate.google.com/transla...essige_tinte_voll&sl=de&tl=en&history_state0=
Go to middle of the page to get the index.

Schritt 2: Seitenteile entfernen (Seite 7) Step 2: Remove side panels (page 7)
Schritt 3: Scannerdeckel abnehmen (Seite 8) Step 3: scanner cover (page 8)
Schritt 4: Scannereinheit abnehmen (Seite 9) Step 4: Remove scanner unit (page 9)
Schritt 5: Oberen Gehuseteil entfernen (Seite 10) Step 5: Remove part of the upper casing (page 10)
Schritt 6: CD-Hebel und Papierklappe (Seite 11) Step 6: CD and paper flap lever (page 11)
Schritt 7: Hauptplatine abschrauben (Seite 12) Step 7: Unscrew motherboard (page 12)
Schritt 8: Druckkopfverriegelung (Seite 13) Step 8: Printhead latch (page 13)
Schritt 9: Netzteil abschrauben (Seite 14) Step 9: Unscrew adapter (page 14)
Schritt 10: Druckwerk anheben (Seite 15) Step 10: Raise printing (page 15)
Schritt 11: Schwmme austauschen (Seite 16) Step 11: sponges share (page 16)
Schritt 12: Drucker zusammenbauen (Seite 17) Step 12: Configure the printer (page 17)

Zoot

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you so much for that. It was just a question of removing the right hand side cover to get at the connectors. Both ribbon cables had pulled out. The link to the German site was most helpful as it gives detailed instructions on the dismantling. For example after removing the three screws on this part you have to pull at the back so hard you think it's going to break. I think it would be tricky to get this part off without knowing how.

Anyway it's all back together and working normally again. I hope this thread will come in useful for anyone else googling for "MP750: hormone-addled adolescent doesnt know own strength"

I was a bit frightened by the sponge-removing procedure, given that we have got five printers in the house. It was a bit of a John McEnroe moment: You cannot be serious! The German site gives instructions for putting them through the washing machine. What they don't mention is that it seems a good idea to only put other peoples clothes in the next cycle.

Thanks again,

Stephen