MP610 vs 620 vs 640

Rhodius

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Canon experts,

I have an unopened MP610 that was originally purchased as a backup for my MP830. My dilemma, should I return this, hope for the best for my MP830 and buy a newer MP620 or 640 when the 830 fails or continue keeping it as a backup?

Please give me your strongest argument for keeping an MP610. Perhaps built quality, bigger cart, does it have equal print text and photo quality compare to the newer models?

I like the newer MP620 or 640 because it has wireless and I think I can deal with a smaller cart, since with the MP830 I only refilled once every 2-3 months anyway. $100 in my pocket (from the return) is also better than $100 2 yrs from now (assuming I can still sell it, which I'm not sure).

Thank you experts!

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
MP610 uses the same print head used in iP4500 and MX850. I think these models use the same print engine. I have seen iP4500 selling for over $150 on eBay and continues to go up. I will keep the MP610 if it is up to me. If you decided to sell your MP610, don't sell it cheap.

If wireless printing is important to you, you can use a print server designed for the multifunction printers. I use Linksys WSPM54G print server with my iP4500. I get the iP4500 ink level from this print server. But I have not tested with my AIO printers. I got this print server FREE from a local recycling group. I will never buy this print server because of the bad user reviews. But after using this print server for a few months, it works well. Sometime, about once every 10 days, it lost contact to my wireless router. At this point, I am not sure it is due to my wireless router or the print server. Things happen in the wireless connection...

Linksys has two wireless print servers namely WSPM54G and WSP54G. The WSP54G does not send any data received from the printer back to your computer.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
For all the reasons you mentioned - bigger cart, etc, I would recommend that you keep the 610, unless you need the wireless feature, and the fax, which the MP610 does not have.

Online reviews are pretty well united in opinion that the printers which use the PGI-5 and cli-8s are quieter, better-made printers, and certainly easier to refill at the moment as well.