MP610 - Time for a new printer?

dgbair

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I normally just use the printer to print out black and white text. The other day my wife asked me to print out some pictures and the results were terrible. Looks like I have some major problems with the "Nozzle check pattern". I did see a similar MP630 append but this pattern is much worse.... looks like half of the print head is not working. Align print head also fails because most of the print patterns just don't get printed.

(Guess I will try doing a update since the forum won't allow me to post a img/url yet given I'm a new member)

Any suggestions?

Time for a new printer or do you think a new print head would fix this up?

Thanks!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
dgbair Any suggestions?

Time for a new printer or do you think a new print head would fix this up?
A new printer would definitely be one answer to your print problem and a new print head would the other.
You will have to weight up the costs yourself; a new printer will most lightly be cheaper than a replacement print head.

Then you have to ask yourself do I want to lose the bigger CLI-8 cartridges that I use now for the much smaller CLI-526s,
its decision time and only you or your pocket can be the best judge. :)

dgbair

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
yeah, looks like a new print head will cost about $70.... if it's a almost sure thing a new print head would fix the problem I would probably go down this road. I probably have $30-$40 of 'support' supplies on hand for this printer which all become junk if I toss this printer. I haven't really checked out the cons/pros of going with a new printer yet... but smaller cartridges *sigh*

BrightGuy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I would go for a new printer. I owned some IP4xxxx series printers and, by far, the QY6-0075 (for IP4500, MP610, etc) is the worst printhead in terms of durability. Also, QY6-0080 based printers print faster and more accurate. Of course, the CLI-8 cartridges are cheaper, but the balance would weigh for the advantages you get with a new printer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
BrightGuy said:
I would go for a new printer. I owned some IP4xxxx series printers and, by far, the QY6-0075 (for IP4500, MP610, etc) is the worst printhead in terms of durability. Also, QY6-0080 based printers print faster and more accurate. Of course, the CLI-8 cartridges are cheaper, but the balance would weigh for the advantages you get with a new printer.
Just because you were unfortunate with your Qy6-0075 print head doesnt make them all out to be bad
and yes the newer printers do print faster but are not more reliable than the older guys.

New for old the MP610 is as good as anything that has come after it in terms of reliability and durability
and the CLI-8's are about the best in cartridges yet + not to mention dgbairs supplies and inks.... Ouch. :hit

I will have to agree with you that dgbair will have to weight up the pros and cons of a new printer
but its not as clear cut as it seems, I would hate to jump out of the fry pan and into the fire myself..

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
I've had a MP600 since just after they came out and have only had to replace the print head once. I don't use it real heavy, I probably average 500 double sided sheets a month. I refill and would hate to have to give up the CLI-8 and PGI-5 cartridges. I personally would buy a new printhead. I got mine off e bay.

dgbair

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll try the new print head route. Wish me luck. :)

dgbair

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Great news... new print head arrived today and it totally fixed the problem. :)

Thanks!