MP610 - missing two magenta bands from the print test pattern

paperinik

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been having an issue with my printer recently. I am using Hobbicolors ink with an auto-reset system and been happy so far. I haven't printed for quite sometime and I got a nice surprise when I tried this morning:
(url coming in the next post)

The second and third magenta bands are completely missing. I've tried many deep cleaning cycles with no luck.
Given your experience, is this just stubborn clogging, or something more annoying?
Thanks

paperinik

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Image url
scanitto2.png

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Do not do any more cleaning cycles as that will probably make it worse. The most you should do is a nozzle check but not until you take some action to unclog.

Search here for "unclogging" and "Windex" and you should soon find how others have managed to sort the problem out.

Above all patience is required, sometime leaving the head to soak for 2 -3 days.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
In addition to the suggestions already given , I would also attempt trying a new Magenta cart , perhaps the installed one is a a bad "feeder"and is starving the head. I have an MP600 and currently have 3 used heads in reserve which also have suffered clogging , mainly with the Cyan,,,,,,,but I am confident that after resting /soaking I will eventually be using them again.

I have been caught out before with poor cart feeding which can appear like head clogging. This often happens when carts are continually being re-filled without periodic purging.

I also note no PG5 Black grid is shown...is there a reason for this ?..............(I have an MP600, is the 610 different ?)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
headphonesman I have been caught out before with poor cart feeding which can appear like head clogging.
This often happens when carts are continually being re-filled without periodic purging.
I am just curious but which (brand) inks do you use in your printers..

paperinik

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I tried a different magenta cart with no improvements, I think I will with refilling the magenta cart with some Windex and see.
The black grid was missing but for other reasons, i.e. more traditional clogging.
My question was more related on what is the reason why those specific magenta bands are affected by clogging.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
paperinik I tried a different magenta cart with no improvements
To be perfectly honest with you the nozzle check is not the best with any of your colours.
You said you used Hobbicolors ink but in which cartridges, compatible, OEM or both..

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The Hat said:
headphonesman I have been caught out before with poor cart feeding which can appear like head clogging.
This often happens when carts are continually being re-filled without periodic purging.
I am just curious but which (brand) inks do you use in your printers..
As I am still evaluating this ink and the source is not as reliable as I would like, I will not at this time publish the name (they have surfaced once or twice in discussions in this Forum).
. It is very cheap , part of its attraction to me for everyday use , I reserve the Hobbicolours for special jobs. I used to use ink from the Far/East and Tesco with no real harm as far as I could tell , its the same with this ink , which appears to be produced by a named European company , who have a proper company web site (not retail orientated).

Prices are 1.87 for 150ml and 13.47 for 1 litre. This is boxed and dispatched from within the UK by an agent , (eventually).

I do not attribute any clogging I have experienced solely to the ink make being used , clogging will occasionally take place (overtime) in all heads that are well worked regardless of ink origin (in my opinion). I have had (on average) 6 months use of a head before "clogging" ( loss of a band) has occurred , with carts that have never been purged . As I had other new printheads to hand , I retired the heads to storage without attempting to clear. I am now working with a head that I have "resurrected" that was originally retired in November.

If I am able to successfully resurrect and re-use all my retired heads (3) , I will inform the Forum of the methods and cleaner used.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
paperinik said:
I tried a different magenta cart with no improvements, I think I will with refilling the magenta cart with some Windex and see.
The black grid was missing but for other reasons, i.e. more traditional clogging.
My question was more related on what is the reason why those specific magenta bands are affected by clogging.
Really clutching at straws here........It may be the electrical contacts . internal circuitry for those bars may have been compromised. Try cleaning the metal pad contact with isopropyl alchohol

You mention "more traditional clogging" ?...........this also may be down to degradation of the printhead circuitry with the Large Black

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Swiss make good chocolates and watches.

They also make some inks that sell because "Swiss" is in the name, but my experience of their ink in their so called "top quality Epson compatible carts" was less than favourable.

More clogs than a Dutch market day :D

YMMV though ;)