MP610 - check pattern

Glomgold

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6650, MP610
I run my trusty MP610 from time to time so I avoid clogging, I noticed one very small dot on each color in line about 2 cm from the edge on the right.

I did change the big black, magenta and cyan, I've tried to change the big black again but the dots are still there. They could well have been there for a while without me noticing.

I use unoriginal ink, since it was new, never bought original ink, printed thousands of pages.

Tried to print a picture, didn't see any dots in the colors, any ideas about what's going on?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Please print a nozzle check, scan, crop and post. Do not use a piece of paper that has printing on the back side.

Post an example of what you are describing as well.

How long has this been going on?

Did it come on suddenly or appear little by little over time?

Getting better, worse, staying the same?

Specifically, what Paper and Paper Setting does this occur with? Have you tried different Paper and Paper Settings?

Glomgold

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6650, MP610
I noticed this just recently, I did a check pattern after exchanging the big black, magenta and cyan cartridges. The last thing I printed was some CDs.

It may have been there before I exchanged the cartridges, I'm not entirely sure. After I printed a color picture it's somewhat faded.

A4, it's just cheap standard copy paper. I don't have any photo paper at the moment.

The BK have been streaky for years so I think that's unrelated.

Dots.jpg

Pattern.jpg

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thanks for the images. Did you use the scanner on your printer?

I noticed one very small dot on each color in line about 2 cm from the edge on the right.
Tried to print a picture, didn't see any dots in the colors
Does this mean you no longer have the dots and your questions are academic?

Regularly spaced dots lateral to the center may be due to the sprocket "Pizza" wheel(s) above the paper that helps to move the paper along to eject the printed image. There are also rollers underneath the paper doing similar task.

If excess ink gets on the Pizza wheel sprockets then you may get evenly spaced dots. It would not be surprising that the dots go away with use of the printer as the ink on the sprockets gets laid down on the paper and eventually is used up.

Look for excess ink and clean with a paper towel. Make sure there is no leaking of ink from the print head. Also, some papers and Paper Settings may cause ink to dry slowly and pool on the paper enough to be picked up by the Pizza wheel.

Here's an old thread with explanation and suggestions:

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...ntout-every-10-15mm-or-so-canon-mg5765.10509/

A Google search using "Pizza wheel marks Canon" will result in many links and videos discussing this.

Last edited:

Glomgold

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6650, MP610
Thank you for your reply.

I never did manage to get the scanning function to work over LAN. I could do a scanning, if it's absolutely necessary.

The dots are there on the check pattern, but couldn't see anything on the printed photo. Have printed quite a few tests and they vary in intensity.

If it's just ink on some wheel it's not a problem, I was worried it could be a symptom for something with the printhead.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I was worried it could be a symptom for something with the printhead.
Keep an eye out for changes. Let us know how it works out,

The MP610 is an oldie but a goodie. You've gotten you money's worth out of her. It's all gravy from here out. :thumbsup

Glomgold

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6650, MP610
☺️, Yes it is. It's been with me for quite some time, have been very happy with it.

I'll just keep printing as usual, if they don't go away soon I'll try and change to new cartridges.

Glomgold

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6650, MP610
Studied some prints I did today and saw some small dots in areas that didn't contain any text or photos. So I guess it will resolve on it's own.

Glomgold

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6650, MP610
The dots are almost completely gone now. I guess the smudge I get in one corner every time I print is a result of a lot of residue ink on the printhead. I haven't dared to take it out and clean it.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The dots are almost completely gone now.
Good. Thank you for the feedback.

the printhead. I haven't dared to take it out
It's easy. You also do not need to soak or flush the print head, just examine the print head and the print head carriage looking for leaked ink and wipe it off.

To take out print head, open the cover like you are going to replace a cartridge. The print head will move to the center and stop. Pull the power plug out as the print head would otherwise eventually return to the right side parking spot. You can take out all the cartridges at this point. There is a print head lock lever on the right side on the carriage that swings up to open to remove the print head and swings down to lock in the print head. See the original instructions on the installation of the print head to refresh yourself:

https://manualsbrain.com/en/manuals/1415979/

Now examine for leaks on and in the print head and in the carriage. Wipe clean if necessary with paper towels +/- Isopropyl Alcohol. Avoid cleaning/wiping the electrical contacts or PCB board unless there is ink spilled on them.
Let surfaces dry before reinserting the print head so an electrical short circuit does not occur.

Once dry, insert the print head into the carriage and lower the Locking Lever to lock the print head in. Reinstall the cartridges. Close the printer cover. Plug the printer back in. If you do not hear the print head moving back to its parking position on the right in a minute or so then press power on the printer.

Print a nozzle check, scan, crop and post.