MP600 PrintHead checking

CanCan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP600
Canon MP600 nozzle check skips the PGBK part and ejects immediately after the four colour stripes ( which look OK ). I've done all the cleaning recommended here and elsewhere including the garden hose bit which produced a nice fine spray through the black nozzles. The purge system seems also to be working and there is definitely ink at these nozzles.
It's as if for some reason it has been set not to print from the PGBK cart. Is this possible, if so can it be turned back on? How about reinitialising the EEPROM?
Otherwise it looks like a broken PrintHead. Is there any way of confirming this eg. electrical continuity check? Simply fitting a new one, from what I read here, can be an expensive gamble.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The totally missing PGBK even if ink is present at the nozzles is a typical symptom of an electronic failure of the print head. Only a new print head might bring the printer back to good working order. But when a Canon print head fails in this way there is a risk that it damages the logic board. A logic board damaged this way can damage a new print head. So replacing the print head is a gamble and I cannot tell the odds for success.

The print head is QY6-0061 if you want to search for one. But beware, these print heads are no longer available from Canon, but you might find some from the far East. Many of these (all?) print heads are used print heads that have been cleaned to look like new and are repackaged in replica foil bags and cardboard boxes. Many of these heads are defective out of the box. They are claimed to be new and OEM. OEM yes but new no. I don't know if one can be lucky and find a "New Old Stock" from a regular dealer?

Maybe you can find a used printer with with a good print head at a thrift store or similar? Models that use this print head are iP4300, iP5200, MP600, MP600R, MP800 and MP830.

Resistance measurements might reveal a defect in the print head if you know between which pads to measure and what value to expect. Sadly this info is hard or impossible to find. You can check these posts by @Łukasz 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Make sure that the DMM used for the measurement has a low open circuit voltage and a low short circuit current. Modern DMMs use less than 1V and 1mA for this measurement and are safe. The values for continuity check are higher, Don't use this and don't use an old analog multimeter for this test.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@CanCan, The place to look for a new print head in the UK is: www.crc-tasktron.co.uk/ but as @PeterBJ said they are no longer available, but if you still wish to look.

You can however continue to use your printer with the damaged head, it will still print as near normal but just a bit slower and the black text won’t be highlighter proof, it doesn’t effect coloured photos.

Go to the Control Panel in Windows and select your printer from there, then go into printer Properties and select the Media setting and use Matte photo setting then click apply, your printer will now work as near normal again...

CanCan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP600
Thanks for your responses. I'd replaced with an MG5550 but this is really only fit for light use, odd page from my iPad etc. Realising the former is a much superior machine, I thought I'd have a go at fixing it but looks like I must settle for the matte printing option.