Mp560, U140 error, wont recognize magneta cartridge (fixed)

icarr757

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Howdy, I have had my Canon Mp560 for over a year now, and have enjoyed varried levels of success selfrefilling w/ the German method. Today, however, I recieved a u140 error and the printer is refusing to recognize any of my three (3) different magneta cartridges. Now I would go out and buy a new one from the store to test it out, but it is going on 11pm. Will do that first thing in the am. So far I have tried rubbing the contacts on my cartridges with an eraser. No change. Rubbed the contacts with qtip and iso alcohol. Nada, tried rubbing the contacts inside the printer down w/ alcohol. That was interesting, got back some dirty qtips but eventually they came clean. Still no luck.

Anyone know if there is a way to remove the lid on mp560 so I can see cartridge contacts inside the printer? Or can you remove that part of the carrage and pull it out? I know how to remove the print head, but thats about it.

Any advice would be appreciated. I dont really want to buy a new printer just because one ink cartridge cant be read. And I really dont want to go thru the pain of going from 221 to 225 cartridges.

Thanks
Merry Christmas

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
generally when you have a message whereby it indicate unable to recognize cartridge, it is usually to do with the chip sensor contact issue.

2 scenario

A) Are you using compatible cartridge among your original canon cartridges? Sometime compatible cartridges there dimension is not 100% identical to the original cartridges so you may experience recognize cartridge is due to the chip sensor contact issue when you mixed the cartridges.

B) If you are using original canon cartridge to refill, over time after having remove and reinsert to printhead after many refill, the "tail" plastic of the cartridge gets more "flexible" as they are bend slightly when they locked itself into the printhead carriage. All you have to do is reinsert the "problem" cartridge into the printhead, ensure that the cartridge front tab is inserted probably into the printhead tab hole, then instead of pressing down the top of the cartridge where we usually would do to lock the cartridge in place, press the tail of the cartridge to lock the cartridge in place. This help to ensure that the chip made good contact to the printer chip sensor.

icarr757

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
lin said:
generally when you have a message whereby it indicate unable to recognize cartridge, it is usually to do with the chip sensor contact issue.

2 scenario

A) Are you using compatible cartridge among your original canon cartridges? Sometime compatible cartridges there dimension is not 100% identical to the original cartridges so you may experience recognize cartridge is due to the chip sensor contact issue when you mixed the cartridges.

B) If you are using original canon cartridge to refill, over time after having remove and reinsert to printhead after many refill, the "tail" plastic of the cartridge gets more "flexible" as they are bend slightly when they locked itself into the printhead carriage. All you have to do is reinsert the "problem" cartridge into the printhead, ensure that the cartridge front tab is inserted probably into the printhead tab hole, then instead of pressing down the top of the cartridge where we usually would do to lock the cartridge in place, press the tail of the cartridge to lock the cartridge in place. This help to ensure that the chip made good contact to the printer chip sensor.
Yes, using all original canon cartridges, just my ink.

Tried the pushing in on just the tail, no luck =/

Off to buy a new magneta and try it out, if that doesnt work, well Pixma MG5320 is $50 off at Staples this week =/

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
icarr757
The magenta chip could be shot but not on all three cartridge chips at the same time so it has to be something else.
You could try and examine the four little pins inside the print head where the cartridge makes contact;
one of them may be bent out of alignment.
-------
The next suggestion is a bit long winded so you can try it or leave it as it may not work for you.
Firstly raise the top lid to bring the print head to the centre of the carriageway.

Then pull the power plug out of the wall and leave for five minutes,
while youre waiting remove all of the remaining cartridges and print head then close the lid again.

Power on your printer and leave it to settle down then raise the top lid again,
at this point youll need to watch your computer screen for printer messages.

Put back in the print head and close the lid and wait for the printer to prompt you
with the no cartridges installed in your printer.

Raise the lid again at this point I would suggest you put the magenta cartridge in first
and close the lid, but only put in one cartridge at a time.

Now the printer will either recognise or rejected the magenta cartridge, odds on it will accept it.
If the printer rejects it then remove it and start with the cyan instead,
repeat this process on each cartridge one by one till you have the full complement
of cartridges on board, but dont leave the magenta till last.

If the printer still has not prompted any new on screen messages then run a nozzle check
followed by a head alignment and it is safe to assume your problems are gone, good luck..

icarr757

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok, the weirdness continues.

So I goto my local Staples and pick up a new Magnetta cartridge. Everything works golden! YAH!

5minutes after I start printing, I swap out a Cyan. The printer wont recognize the Cyan I put in... I have 3 of each color cartridge, all Canon originals that I just refill and swap between. Printer wont recognize any of my 3 Cyans. I put in a brand new Cyan (I picked up a full set of colors when I went to Staples), printer fires right up...

Now I am starting to believe that there is something to the rumor that you can only use a cartridge for so long... Dont get me wrong, when I print, I print alot, and I print full color. But to have the printer reject all 3 magnettas' and then all 3 cyans within 24hrs of each other... Seems like more than just concidence.

Does anyone know, can you pull out the part of the printer where the contacts connect with the cartridges? The back end of the carriage? Not sure the technical name. Cause I think I would like to look at my contacts, maybe do some cleaning in there... I know when I first started doing my own refills I was pretty bad at overfilling the cartridges so im pretty sure the inside of my printer is not a pretty place. Are there places where a qtip and iso alcohol would be bad to clean with?

Thanks,
Merry Christmas

ian

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You need to get a chip re-setter to reset the chip on the cartridge. i am surprised that you printer will still print after they were empty the first time. I fill hundreds of these cartridges a year and i always re-set the chip before i give them back to my customers.

icarr757

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
AH HA! Figured it out!

Some how, the dip switch on my chip resetter was off, so it was resetting all cartridges to... neutral?

Wee!

Merry Christmas!