MP390 BCI-24 Black - Pigmented or Dye based?

SCSI

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I always thought that my MP390 uses a dye based black ink. I plan on buying a BCI-24 four color refill kit from alotofthings but their BCI-24 black inks are pigmented. Is my 390 BCI-24 black pigmented? Currently using inks bought from 2for1imaging.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I believe but don't know for a fact that the BCI-24 text black is pigment based and the colors are dye based---at least for Canon OEM ink---just like the inks used in the BCI-3&6 cartridge line. In fact the Canon OEM inks in both the BCI-3&6 and the BCI-24 lines may be almost identical. But Canon may or may not be forthcoming with an answer.

But I do know for a fact that many third party prefilled cartridge vendors use a dye based ink instead of a pigment based ink in their BCI-3ebk cartridges. For those vendors with decent customer service, it just a matter of asking.---with a side comment that if you get no answer at all or an answer of we don't know, it may be time to change vendors.

2us

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The ink used in the BCI 24 is a pigment based ink. I buy this ink from my local cartridge world store. the cartridge is easy to fill

SCSI

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation guys.