MP280 service mode problem

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Here is a link to a Youtube video showing the proper way to enter service mode on a printer that requires the stop button to be pressed 5 times to enter service mode. The video is in German, but the procedure is clearly shown. The printer is not an MP280, but the procedure is the same. Note the procedure is the one I described in post #13

If the procedure in post #13 for entering service mode with pressing the stop button 5 times does not work, then try the same procedure but with the stop button pressed 6 times instead. The service manual might be in error, errors in some Canon service manuals do exist.

Here is another Youtube video showing 6 presses of the stop button and the printer seems to enter service mode. But the stop and on buttons seem to be released simultaneously, and I cannot determine from the video which is released first.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
By looking at the Youtube link and comparing it to other Youtube links I noticed that the format was wrong and a "?" appears to be mirrored. Editing the link to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6tV5C86Gec makes it work.

The video clearly shows the procedure to enter service mode and it is the correct procedure from post #13. Try pressing the stop button 5 times instead of 6 times, I think the printer will then enter service mode.

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
Hi,

to me it looks like a classic locked service mode (common practice in newer printers).
My friends printer that has to interfere service mode until it is reset the counter or to remove a line B07
I'll guess it refers to EEPROM address for waste ink tank counter or locking parameter.
Pixma EEPROM is mirrored - some of it parts are duplicated.

Ł.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The service manual for MP280 is dated June 2010, so the printer is not new, I think the locking of service mode was not used back then?

I think the "line B07" could mean "Error P07" which is the ink absorber full error message.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You could try pressing the stop button 2 times in stead of 5. Maybe the service manual is in error, and 2 times pressing the stop button is used for entering service mode on many Canon printer models. Does anybody have experience with entering service mode on the MP280?

But some mechanical errors can prevent the printer from entering service mode. I noticed in your video that the error LED came on instead of the printer entering service mode. So what error messages does the printer give, both on the display and on the PC screen, when switched on in normal user mode?

Last edited: