MP280 service mode problem

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
@bahaa Which printer model are you having problems with? The method of entering service mode is not the same for all Canon printer models.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@bahaa, If you have an MP280 and you can’t enter Service Mode with the usual 6 button sequence then you’re going to need a new logic board..

Sorry we can’t be more welcoming this time ..:(

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
A link to the MP280 service manual is found in this post. The procedure for entering service mode may not be quite clear, so I have edited it slightly to make it more clear, with my additions in bold italic:

i. With the machine power turned off, while pressing the Stop button, press and hold the ON button. (DO NOT release the buttons.)
ii. When the Power LED lights in green, while holding the ON button, release the Stop button. (DO NOT release the ON button.)
iii. While holding the ON button, press and release the Stop button 5 times, and then release the ON button. (Each time the Stop button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green.)
iv. When the Power LED lights in green, the machine is ready for the service mode operation and "0" is displayed on the 7-segment LCD.(Should be LED, I think?)

Note that the service manual is only supplementary, you will also need the base manual. The ftp mail.racs server that hosts the base manual is active at this moment of posting, but you don't need the base manual for service mode operations, this is covered in the supplementary manual. The base manual is nice to have in case of other problems.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Yes according to the service manual it is 5 times pressing the stop button, for the MP280. Different procedures are needed for some other models. Pressing the stop button twice is the procedure for most models.

I have the MP270 that is very similar to the MP280, and for the MP270 the stop button should be pressed twice.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Maybe the 6 times is wrong info from the internet? See this.

A wild guess is that the not so clear instructions for entering service mode might be the cause. Here is part of the unedited instruction from the service manual:

iii. While holding the ON button, press the Stop/Reset button 5 times, and then release both the ON and Stop/Reset buttons. (Each time the Stop/Reset button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green, starting with Alarm LED.)

I think the "then release both the ON and Stop/Reset buttons" might be the culprit. If you don't first press and release the stop button before releasing the on button, but instead release the stop and on button simultaneously, you might actually release the on button first. Maybe this means that the last pressing of the stop button isn't registered? Pressing the stop button 6 times instead of 5 might then result in a count of 5 presses.

I have an iP2700 that needs 5 times pressing the stop button for entering service mode. Maybe I can reproduce the error?

bahaa

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon
Hello my friends Canon printer mp280 excludes the service mode to be cleared ink counter what should I do

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I don't quite understand the question. Did you manage to download the service manual? See page 3-15 and on for error messages. Which error message does the printer give?

Can you make the printer to enter service mode, indicated by the display showing "0"?

When you have successfully entered service mode, you will need to run one of the service tools, see the first post of this thread. I suggest to download the v3400 version of the service tool from the Russian site linked to in the post. This is the link to click:

st3400-download-jpg.2115

With the printer in service mode start the downloaded service tool, and click clear ink counter. This should reset the ink counter, so the printer should be able to print again. After the reset turn off the printer using the on/off button and close the service tool.

Note that clearing a counter doesn't remove the ink absorbed. You risk a nasty ink overflow if you don't replace or wash and dry the ink absorbers.

I hope this helps, else I can make screen shots showing the use of the service tool on the very similar MP270.