Most rewarding print

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Might be nice to have a thread where members can show their most rewarding or satisfying 3D print.

To start off I have just finished a test print for my biggest project to date, a 48" RC model of the Stearman Biplane. This is going to take forever to print but it's the winter so needed a good RC project.

Printed on the Creality CR-10S. It took half a day to get the settings just right because it needs to be printed at high temps with no part cooling fan so that there is a strong bond on the layers. Wall thickness is 0.4mm and the aim is to reach the weights specified in the model plan. Too heavy and the model will have poor performance and too light and the strength suffers.

This is the best print I have made so far on the CR-10S and I still can't believe the quality this machine turns out. Even the two 1 mm control rod tubes are perfectly printed.

Attachments

• F0-internal.jpg
    F0-internal.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 373
  • F0-side.jpg
    F0-side.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 329

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
This looks great. Did you use OpenSCAD to design it?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This looks great. Did you use OpenSCAD to design it?
Yes, OpenSCAD is my current default App., I am also learning Fusion360 thanks to the encouragement from @Redbrickman, but I’ll have to tell you, a week in and I’m getting nowhere fast... :mad:

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Hmmm... this is a tricky one for me, because there are a lot of prints that are "rewarding" for various reasons:

• Unique
  • I designed it
  • It saved me in a pinch
  • How often I use it
  • How much $$ it saved me
  • etc.
So, I have prints that satisfy 1 or more of those variables to many different degrees... so how do I choose!?!?

If I was forced to choose one of the TONS of things I've printed so far, I think I'd maybe say it's my phone charger / stand:

It fit my new phone and the charging cable that came with it PERFECTLY, and I use it every day!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2415437

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I must prefer designing my own things, and I reckon if I was to just print someone else’s designs all the time I probably would get tired of the printer very quickly, there’s no fun in that.

Its seeing the thing you designed finished and in your hand is the biggest thrill for me, and then it does exactly what you had hoped it would do, because threads and nuts were a bit of a nightmare when I first started out.

But since I’ve started to use Fusion 360, things are getting easier, but very slowly, I reckon I’m at embryo stage, so crawling is still a bit away just yet, if you sign up as a student Fusion 360 can be free.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5bc9c3S12g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXRMzJWo0-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS8dYA_Iluc
This guy Lars Christensen will grow on you...

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Will Student of Life work?

Probably if you attended the University of Hard Knocks :)

There are two types of free account you can have for Fusion 360 - Student and Hobbyist, not sure what the difference is but I signed up for the hobbyist account.

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
There are two types of free account you can have for Fusion 360 - Student and Hobbyist, not sure what the difference is but I signed up for the hobbyist account.
The Hobbyist license appeared to be just for a year, then you have to pay. I'm not sure I want to learn it, then be unable to use it after a year. Or have I misunderstood the terms of the account?