Modifying REDSETTER from battery to Plug Pack

Aussieinker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Avolanche

If you go to Tandy or Radio shack and get a double AA battery holder and solder the flying leads across the battery holder (Check the polarity with a meter)they should last for years, and easy to replace. The back of the battery holder could be stuck to the bottom of the resetter with a piece of double sided foam tape.

Aussieinker

To anyone wanting to ID a switchmode plugpak they are always lighter in weight than the old iron and copper transformer, also the voltage measured on the output is very close to the voltage stated on the label and does not change with load variations.

A resistor can only be used if the load current is constant which in the redsetter is not Eg Led flashes on, off then on when finished. whereas a diode drops a constant voltage over a wide range of current variations.

Aussieinker

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Aussieinker,
I looked at Radio Shack and they have a 2xAA battery holder,but it has snap-on terminals like a 9V battery.There are many on Ebay with wire leads for around $3 US.Will 3V provided by 2 AA batteries be sufficient(I noticed you said that there were problems at 2.8V....and you were using a 3.2V plug pack).

Also,is this correct: You simply solder the (+)lead to the (+) terminal and the (-) lead to the neg terminal,insert the batteries into the holder and are good to go?Thanks for your advice! Fred

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
My local Radio Shack is constantly dropping part numbers that are listed in their last catalog.
Radio Shack still shows the 2 AA battery holder # 207-408 with wire leads in the online catalog.
This does not mean that they still have them in stores but you can call and ask your local RS and check.

2 AA with wire leads.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062252

2 D with wire leads.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062241

PS: If you are buying solder try some of RS 64-013.

Ron.

Aussieinker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Avolanche
The voltage should not be a problem as a new alkaline cell is about 1.54v(a good brand) and the sag will be very little.

If you can only get a 2 X AA holder then also buy a battery snap to fit, then solder the wires on to the +ve and
-ve solder pads, If your resetter is the same as in the picture then it should be easy. I also used a needle file to cut a groove into the resetter case to bring the wires in.

Aussieinker

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hey Aussieinker,
That's what I thought.When you said "across the terminals" I wasn't sure.Guess that meant (+) to Pos and (-) to neg terminal on the coin battery holder of the Redsetter.I should learn some "electronics-speak" I suppose!

Two AA's and a 2X battery holder with leads seems a lot easier(and cheaper) for me than trying to find a regulated plug pack,diodes,etc.I think that most of us always have some AA alkalines around(or they are in every grocery/drug store and 7/11).Thanks again. Fred