Modifying REDSETTER from battery to Plug Pack

Aussieinker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have been using a Redsetter on Ip4500 & Ip4200's for about 80 resets so far, the only problem I have encountered is the battery going flat.

I do three resets then the resetter refuses to do anything until it has a rest, I took the resetter apart and found that the battery voltage was dropping from 3.3v down to 2.8v when the on/off switch was operated even with a new battery.

I retrieved a 5vdc/1amp switch mode plug pak and put 3 IN4004 diodes in series with the + lead which gives a voltage drop of 1.8v this leaves 3.2vdc to run the resetter,

It now will reset carts repeatedly. The diodes can be hidden away inside the resetter.
Here is the circuit diagram and pic.

3565_p8091907crop.jpg

3565_resetter.jpg

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Ausieinker,

nice job: I will modify my Redsetter when the battery runs low using your depicted circuit diagram. Thanks !

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Nice. I haven't even used mine yet and the battery is dead. I just bought new batteries but I think I will try this from now on.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I applaud your Aussie ingenuity!

Great post.

Aussieinker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Bird333
This design is for a single 3v cell resetter, if you have a 2cell or 3cell type then for a 2cell use a regulated 6v supply
and for a 3 cell 9v. If the voltage is correct the diodes are not required, they are there to drop the voltage from 5v down to 3v (0.6v per diode)

Check the polarity across the battery holder to ensure that you don't kill it with reverse polarity. Then remove the battery.

You cannot use an unregulated plugpak as the voltage varies with load eg. a 6v unregulated plugpak will have approx 9v off load. Most switchmode packs are regulated (switchmode are a lot lighter in weight than the old transformer type).

Ask if in doubt.

Aussieinker.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Be Careful Here. The bluesetter uses three 1.5V button cells - 4.5V total. A 9V source might/will blow that sucker to heaven and back. Probably all the three battery units use 1.5V cells. Check your voltages before doing this mod.

Steve W.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Are these "switch mode plug paks" what is referred to as wallwarts(the transformers used on cordless telephones)?I have several of the around and they are 9V DC.But they don't mention "regulated".Can you elaborate for those of us who are not so technically proficient?Thanks! Fred

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just curious would a resistor(s) not work for this? BTW, I have the exact Redsetter pictured above. Also I need to locate a jack to connect the leads to. What did you use?

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Bird333 said:
Just curious would a resistor(s) not work for this?
No, a resistor in series with the battery will only limit the current and will not reduce the voltage down to 3V.

For the causal user, it is cheaper to buy button battery on eBay - 10 for couple of dollars.