Modified Dehydrator For Drying Wet / Moist 3D Printer Filament - Dehumidifier

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Don't forget your Ikea "Lots" mirrors when you are there - about £5 for 4 - you know you want to :weee

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Don't forget your Ikea "Lots" mirrors when you are there - about £5 for 4 - you know you want to
I’ll also be shopping for mirrors too, Got to look my best don’t I... :D
Have to go to a PrinterKnowledge team meeting?
I don’t think that would work, she was dumb enough to marry me, but she’s not Feckin stupid, I need something like... A get out of jail free card... :fl
I’m working on it...:hu

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@The Hat - I think she was blinded by love and married you. :love

Thank your lucky stars, my friend! :hugs

I’m working on it...:hu
Gift card from the forum? I am sure the lads here will pitch in imaginary Euros. :D

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Ok, here's my total ghetto "dry box"... which is a bag / temp solution until I decide on what kind of real box to build.

Basically, here's my setup:

1. Big ziploc zipper bag
  2. Bowden tube going through two of these "box filament" ports that sandwich the bag and create a pretty good seal.
  3. With this Desiccant Box remix: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2518453 (I think next time I'll print the original one that's bigger and holds more: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2036127 )
IMG_20180228_180240.jpg

Last edited:

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
For you guys on the other side of the big pond from me I saw a post in a 3D printing group about Costco dehydrators (re-usable) - $20. Guys are putting them in storage boxes with the filament and say they are a good solution.

costco dessicator.jpg

RogerR

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro-100
So.....I built a storage box suitable for holding reels while printing. Mostly because threading the filament each time is frustrating and discourages doing a quick print.

But now, I have a problem. I'm running the filament through about 15" of PTFE to the CR-10 extruder. After it gets there, it goes through the extruder and the Bowden tube to the hot end. Unfortunately, the extra drag of the additional PTFE seems to be causing some skipping in the extruder drive.

I don't think this would be a problem with a direct drive extruder.

I was thinking about making two transition pieces to step up the feed tubing diameter to something bigger (perhaps 1/4" or 6mm) for most of it's length. This would allow a bit of flex of filament inside the larger tube during retractions.As it is, when the extruder retracts, it's moving filament all the back through the Bowden and potentially all the way back to the storage box.

But, thinking a bit more, I realized that the skipping was while doing fill. No retractions at that time. So, I opened up the controller and turned the current control for the extruder stepper about 1/8 turn to the right. All four of my steppers run extremely cool, so I don't think a small increase in current should hurt. I also straightened the run from the drybox by moving it over a bit......and tested with about 6 hours of printing today. No skipping.

Last edited:

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
But now, I have a problem. I'm running the filament through about 15" of PTFE to the CR-10 extruder. After it gets there, it goes through the extruder and the Bowden tube to the hot end. Unfortunately, the extra drag of the additional PTFE seems to be causing some skipping in the extruder drive.

Ironically enough, I think this is EXACTLY what caused my problem in the first place: https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/filament-issue.12332/

How "funny" is it that in an effort to solve for damp filament I ended up creating more problems with a bag and too much bowden tube... which caused friction and actual extrusion problems! UGH!