Mixing different brands of pigment inks?

Hisopio

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
Hello, I'm changing printers at the moment and I find myself with a bunch of leftovers of different kinds of pigment inks. Some from Cobra for the Epson R2000; some from InkjetCarts (IS I think) for a WF-7610; and some from FotoRite for the 1500W.
I'm wondering if someone know if it's possible to mix them all and avoid all the purges and profile making for a while? or if there is some kind of method to check if a weird lethal chemical reaction could occur?
Ink is so expensive, it would be great if I can use all the stock that I have...
Thanks.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
o.k., I admit I did that as well, but you may not be able to do it for all colors like green, red, blue. You may make a test with each color - just mixing a 1ml or so of each ink together into a small glass , let it rest for a day and watch what happens , if you find some unusual deposit at the bottom that mix won't work and just would clog your printhead - I got something like that with yellow inks in particular. And various inks may have different characteristics on paper - gloss , bronzing , and you wouldn't know what you'll get. And you would need to profile that particular ink set . Which type of printer to you plan to use these inks with ? So it is a test at your own risk overall - and you might not be happy with the overall performance of such ink mix at the end - e.g. small gamut, not a good black level etc.

Hisopio

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
Okey, thanks for the suggestion, I'll try some mixtures on a glass first, see what happens.
I'm going to use them on an XP-960 that has a 6 colours set. And I admit that I'm even tempted to mix the R2000 gloss optimizer with the WF-7610 cyan to make LCyan (same with the magenta)...
I have a colour profiler so that won't be a problem.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
oooh, I'm reading reports once in a while about refill problems with the XP-760 and similar models , with dye inks, I don't know what the problem is, and then switching to pigment inks may be an even greater risk - I wouldn't do it - not with regular pigment inks either. As I said - It's all your risk, and you need to judge the cost of the inks against a potential loss of the printer. I'm running on the other side a R265 since a long time with such inks - mixed, and as well on a Pro 7600, but that is suited to run pigment inks anyway. On a L300 I'm running an ink mix from dye inks - without problem either.

Hisopio

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
Mmh, it's true that I was a little bit surprised when I saw that the refillable cartridges had an sponge. I thought that that didn't exist since long ago.
Anyway, it's too late now. It's running on pigments already.
I'm going to do some very not at all scientific tests and I'll see... I may end up selling the other inks...

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Spongy cartridges will filter slowly the pigments and probably clog up, it may work for a while, but I wouldn't consider that usable for a longer time.

Hisopio

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
All the Epson Expression Premium series use the same kind of cartridges with a pigment black in there, so I guess it can work. Let's try to be a little more optimistic for now...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I am on the side of Pessimism, good advice when given can out weigh optimism.. :fl

Hisopio

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
Well, actually me too I'm on the pessimistic side. I never manage to keep a printer running for more than two years so I don't see why it would be any different this time.
Hopefully this one will work for that long.
(That's my best effort at being optimistic).