Might be time to retire the 5320.....

Slagathor

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 10, MG5320
Any Canons worth buying for everyday printing???
I definitely dont want a tri color cartridge printer, I got my son a mega tank as a wedding present, they like it, but Im not sold on it...

I was printing a recipe for wifey today and I heard a corner of the paper was creased up and rubbing on the head, doubt that caused the B200 but suddenly there it was.
Hadnt had an issue with this head till today, this is my second or 3rd head, cant recall right off. Not sure if I wanna try a non OEM head.

I guess any suggestions on a good printer that I can refill the cartridges, preferably Canon, and preferably separate tank for each color...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I guess any suggestions on a good printer that I can refill the cartridges, preferably Canon, and preferably separate tank for each color...
Sorry for the loss of your printer, Canon are reliable till you get the B200 error, then it’s time for a new head or dump the printer, don’t bother with the EBay heads they are less than useless..

The only Canon that’s worth a mention right now are the Maxify model range, they have mega tank ones too but I wouldn’t bother with them, they come with all the bells and whistles that you’d ever need at varying prices, some with big carts and they are all pigment ink, the photos are not prising winning but more than adequate.. (Refill easy)

P.S. I use one as my work horse..

Slagathor

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 10, MG5320
Im kinda eye balling the GX2020 or maybe the 4020, only reason is momma could do her scanning for herself, unless she plays the part and says she doesnt know how, when I show her 30,000 times....heh

Not sure yet though, thanks for the heads up on the Maxify printers......

I taped up some pins on the back of the head, no more color but momma can print receipts and what not till a new printer or head shows up....

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
The Hat knows the Maxify line well, his advice is spot on

if you are willing to roll the dice there is a new MX870 on ebay for $499, big money but easy to refill, 5 carts are easy to refill and reset. i am using one that i have used/refilled for years

again you are rolling the dice on a printer that has been stored for 14 years, item # 235055737025

caveat emptor

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MX700(2007), MP980(2008), MX870(2010), PRO-100(2013)
• Stored Printers: IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870, MP980
• Past Printers: MP830
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors, then OCP, now ASPEN
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
While im happy with my inktank printer i would only recommend it to users that constantly prints heavily and/or technical and patient enough to keep up with their additional upkeep over regular cartridge printers.

Slagathor

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 10, MG5320
While im happy with my inktank printer i would only recommend it to users that constantly prints heavily and/or technical and patient enough to keep up with their additional upkeep over regular cartridge printers.
What kind of extra upkeep we talking about here???
I have 2 Jeeps, upkeep is something im very used too....heh

The Hat knows the Maxify line well, his advice is spot on

if you are willing to roll the dice there is a new MX870 on ebay for $499, big money but easy to refill, 5 carts are easy to refill and reset. i am using one that i have used/refilled for years

again you are rolling the dice on a printer that has been stored for 14 years, item # 235055737025

caveat emptor

J
500 clams a bit steep, although if I had an extra 500 clams I might actually jump on it....

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
agreed, $500 is a big number. run the numbers, 5 new carts at $15 each = $75. ballpark payback is around 7 full set(5 carts) of refills

back in the day, the payback was 1 set of refills, when refurb'd MX870s/MX860s were $59/$69

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MX700(2007), MP980(2008), MX870(2010), PRO-100(2013)
• Stored Printers: IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870, MP980
• Past Printers: MP830
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors, then OCP, now ASPEN
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

Last edited:

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
What kind of extra upkeep we talking about here???
I have 2 Jeeps, upkeep is something im very used too....heh
Worse case scenario you would the need to disassemble the machine to reprime the damper or the inklines(the latter is doable within the printer but wastes alot of ink and waste tank capacity) every once in awhile.

For me currently my extra upkeep involves checking every once in awhile the ink lines for air bubbles and printing out a few pages (of the channel/color affected) to push said bubble out of the lines. Although i came in with the expectation of needing to reprime device regularly due to the model we bought having a reputation for it(but has the pros of not needing paid software/hardware to deal with its waste ink pads nor is likely to have a paper than than its successor with user-replaceable waste pads purportedly do).