MG7550 not powering up

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Sorry, but all this reboot thing seems to me a complete nonsense or a bad joke.
How is it possible that many Canon models have been performing normally for years and now this issue appears suddenly out of the blue ?.. Nothing has changed : firmware, O.S. printing software,
If it isn’t a virus, what else ?. and who has the necessary and complete knowledge of the firmware and electronics of those printers in order to design a virus that reboots the machines ?. Your guess. :rolleyes:

Either it’s all a hoax or Canon has decided to play a dirty game.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Either it’s all a hoax or Canon has decided to play a dirty game.
How did you come to that conclusion ? I don't see reports yet that the firmware update would cause problems with 3rd party cartrdiges - as it happened with HP units - assumingly intentional - and with Epson in a few cases in the past. And as long you are not affected you don't need to update.

If it isn’t a virus, what else ?
It's not the first time that some functionality is linked to a date code or similar, and the impact only occurs many years later, that happened to Windows , that happens with date code limited security functions - valitidy of certificates and more. I don't see any hidden agenda in the postings by Canon

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/product-advisories/detail/service notice canon inkjet printer continuous reboot loop or powering down

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I don't see any hidden agenda in the postings by Canon
No there isn’t.. But it’s the first time they have acknowledged it..

This issue seems to only effect printers that now have a LAN connection and this means that Canon can access these printers when even the mood takes them, I do know that Canon have been snooping and messing with owr printers for years..

I first noticed this many years ago when installing a iP4700 (2000‘ish) to my network of 7 other Canon printers, all my personal setting were changed on most of the printers, they had been reset back to default. Cute Hoorism.

Later I also noticed that you cannot install a new Canon print driver without the need for an internet connection to your computer, the driver that comes on the CD wont install properly, so what is happening now is no surprise to me at all..

I have never registered any of my printers for guarantee or allowed any firmware upgrades, It’s none of their business how you choose to run your own printer.. If it works then leave it alone.. Within their rules..

The older Canon printers on my computer were not effect by this interference, only the printers that showed their proper Icon in the Devices & Printers has been accessed..

P.S. I once had a chance to ask a big wig in Canon Inc., why they don’t allow Pamo printing on any of their printer.. Answer: If we did that then sales of our larger printer could be affected..

Artefil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MX495, MG7550, MG5650, MB2050
@The Hat, I've a question if you don't mind. Did you noticed the same problem using any Linux distribution or is it just for Windows OS ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
've a question if you don't mind. Did you noticed the same problem using any Linux distribution or is it just for Windows OS ?
Sorry I’ve left all the other O/S’s behind and now only use Win 8.1 so can’t give an answer on that one for you..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If you haven't already updated the firmware, then you probably shouldn't or?. See this updated info from Canon USA.

It seems the error was with a server that Canon wireless printers must connect to before being allowed to start up. This server sent an update that went wrong to the affected printers. The error is now corrected and the affected printers should behave normally again? Canon USA recommends to update the firmware to prevent the error from happening again? The printers probably have to upload some usage info (?!). As this is controlled by the printer's firmware I think it is independent of the computer's OS.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
The printers probably have to upload some usage info (?!).
Epson has a similar function (feature ?) - it's an option on the maintenance tab under 'Monitoring Preferences' .to allow the driver/printer to share usage information with Epson , this applies to all printer models and not just those with a WLAN connection which may connect directly via a router to Epson bypassing a computer with any operating system. But all this is independent of the recent screw up Canon has caused

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
It seems that Canon isn't that different from Microsoft after all. :rolleyes:

If only people considered using common sense and logic before believing blindly on what they read on the Internet,..
Repeat again: If it works don't fix it.

BTW, Last night Jose Rodriguez’s live stream had Mike Lee as a guest.
He commented the weird issue with his Maxify MB2120 when the machine kept rebooting all the time for a couple of days. He had decided already to get rid of the printer but, oh wonder, on Sunday morning his MB2120 was fine again. Both Mike and Jose were totally clueless on what might have happened.

Where had you been last week guys ?. ;)

Last edited: