MG7550 not powering up

LuixSP

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma MG7550
A range of Canon printers is affected by a serious startup/shutdown problem since recently

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/product-advisories/detail/service notice canon inkjet printer continuous reboot loop or powering down

The problem can only be fixed with a firmware update , please check your local/regional Canon support pages for instructions, interim work arounds and download links if already available in your region.

I see these links in a German printerforum linking to U.S. sites since localized information, instructions and downloads are not yet available for all affected models

Downloadlinks, Windows und Mac, US​

Funktioniert es? Wir freuen uns über eine Rückmeldung als Kommentar zu diesem Artikel.

U.S. downloads may not work for printers with firmware of other regions, the status of available and valid infomation will change over the coming days.

Your problem may have another reason nevertheless.
Thanks mate! I will check it later on today!

LuixSP

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma MG7550
I have my Maxify covered up at all times with a cloth and a stack of paper sitting on it, because I never need to use the scanner on the printer.

When it first turns on following a request to print, only the printer starts up, never the scanner, and the only thing on the LED screen is the word (processing) and the ink status monitor, I never use the LED screen to print from, only the computer, besides the LED screen is hidden under the covered sheet..

If a printer does not complete its boot up, then there is something else causing it to shup down again, you could try going into service mode and try a reset from there, there is also a service tool available for about $10 on line that may help fix the issue.
Thanks! Would you happen to know how I can enter the service mode? I have not been able to find it out… additionally, would you happen to know the name of the service tool or how I could get it or where I could get it from?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Thanks! Would you happen to know how I can enter the service mode?
Sorry my short term memory is very unreliable and lets me down constantly, but @PeterBJ usually has the answers on the tip of his tongue.. His memory is excellent..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You cannot use a service tool to correct the error. The service tools can only get some info and change a few settings, for instance reset the ink absorber counter.

A printer that is not functional cannot enter service mode unless the error is 5B00, the ink absorber is full.

Instead see post #5 by @Ink stained Fingers. The MG7500 series printers are listed as affected by the startup problems. The cure is a firmware update. It seems this is only available from Canon USA. According to a Druckerchannel article the update should also work with European printers. Here is a link to a google translation to English. If the link does not work you can use Google translate yourself. It might be a good idea to check the Canon website for your country for more info.

Normally it is advised not to update the firmware unless absolutely necessary. I think it might be necessary do do the update to get the printer going again.

With the printer working again you should be able to enter service mode.

Here is the procedure to enter service mode. Notice that a wrong (too old) version of the service tool will block access to service mode even if you later get the proper version of the service tool. The problem is that the sellers of the newer service tools don't list the MG7500 series printers as compatible. See this and this.

My guess is that the 5$ versions of the service tool, V5204 or V5306 will work. But I can give no guarantees that you don't block access to service mode using one of these service tools.

Edit: According to this post by @palombian version 5204 can reset the series 7500 printers even it is not listed by the Ebay seller.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Canon firmware updates .....Caveat emptor. :rolleyes:
Remember, if it works, don't fix it !!

Lawrence

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 100, Pro 10, Pro 1
Folks,

I have a Pixma MG7550 that shuts down before finishing power up.I am not sure if it is an issue with the internal power source, other component or just software. So, I would like to first try a hard reset but have not found the way to do it.
Any assistance would be much appreciated!
Try this. I have 3 Maxify printers that all started rebooting loop around the same time, (May 30th). I thought it was from a power outage but is actually from your Wi-Fi connection.

1) I turned off the WiFi the printer is supposed to be on -> printer was able to boot. That includes router & access points. turn them all off.

2) Once the printer had booted, Go to the Web Settings to find the DNS configuration. I manually set a somewhat random address (

3) Restarted the WiFi -> printer appears to be behaving normally.

Lawrence

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 100, Pro 10, Pro 1
Try this. I have 3 Maxify printers that all started rebooting loop around the same time, (May 30th). I thought it was from a power outage but is actually from your Wi-Fi connection.

1) I turned off the WiFi the printer is supposed to be on -> printer was able to boot. That includes router & access points. turn them all off.

2) Once the printer had booted, Go to the Web Settings to find the DNS configuration. I manually set a somewhat random address (

3) Restarted the WiFi -> printer appears to be behaving normally.
I don’t know how this first post happened. I thought I erased it and posted what follows instead, but that’s not what happened. So I’m going try it again:

After pausing your internet connection:
Turn on the printer

Slide the lcd printer menu to the right and tap setup

Tap Web Service setup

Tap DNS server setup

Tap manual setup

Change the value to 192.168.00.199 (write down the old value in case you want to change it back later, Mine was 192.168.00.001)
press “OK,” and then press “no” for a secondary DNS server.

Power down your printer and reconnect to the internet. Your printer should now function normally.