Hello. My printer and I need some expert advice so we are searching here.

Alans dad

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG8150
Hello, I have a Canon Pixma MG8150. It is displaying the error code 5B00. I have tried the various online remedies of button holding to clear this but it insists that I go to a Canon service center.
I got as far as phoning for a quote. £95. !!!!
Why have an ink absorber that owners can't easily empty themselves?
Why not have a reset button that owners can press rather than having to search for elusive downloads on line?
Why am I told to send my printer 50 miles away?
Why must I pay for an expensive technician to plug a USB in and press reset?
Greed. Canon has designed their printers to require hundreds of extra pounds to be spent on them after the original purchase. On top of ink that costs more than Chanel Number 5.
Rant over.

SOLUTION...... (I hope) Join Printer Knowledge forum and be expertly guided to the right information for a simple fix.
Someone please point me in the right direction. Which website and which version of what do I need to fix this?
Thank you.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Canon Pixma MG8150. It is displaying the error code 5B00
The waste ink absorbers are marked as full. You will need to reset the waste ink counter +/- cleaning or replacing the waste ink pads.

You will need to enter Service Mode, a series of button pushes on the printer - and then use a Service Tool installed on the computer to be able to reset the waste ink counter. You will need to connect to the computer with a USB printer cable. No WiFi or over a LAN.

It is said that you may not need to clean or replace the pads with the first resetting of the waste ink counter. You may want to set the printer on some sort of tray in case ink leaks.

Service Manual that explains the error code and the resetting process.

https://easyfixs.blogspot.com/2021/03/canon-mg8100-series-service-manual-and.html

Everything in one link:

https://easyfixs.blogspot.com/2019/10/how-to-reset-canon-pixma-mg8100-series.html

I suggest you ask forum member PeterBJ his recommendation of Service Tool version to use. He is the Service Tool king.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
This thread has a detailed instruction for the reset and a download link to the service tool v3400, which is the version I recommend for your printer. The Russian link still works and the downloaded service tool is clean.

IIRC the MG8150 has got sensor fields instead of push buttons. Then the additional info in this thread might be useful.

I have made a slight edition of the procedure to enter service mode to make it more clear:

1) Start the machine in the service mode.
i. With the machine power turned off, press and hold the ON button. (DO NOT release the button.)
ii. When the Power LED lights, while holding the ON button, press and release the Stop button 5 times, and release the
ON button. (Each time the Stop button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately.)
iii. When the Power LED lights, the machine is ready for the service mode operations.