MG7550 not powering up

LuixSP

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma MG7550
Folks,

I have a Pixma MG7550 that shuts down before finishing power up.I am not sure if it is an issue with the internal power source, other component or just software. So, I would like to first try a hard reset but have not found the way to do it.
Any assistance would be much appreciated!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Any assistance would be much appreciated!
When did you discover the issue first, what started it off, you must have noticed something happening on a previous occasion, prior to this current event, like not finishing a print or an on screen alert message, but it sounds to me like the print head is having a hissy fit..

Try unplugging from the power socket for a few minutes and then power on again and see if it clears itself or gives you some sort of message or error..
P.S. I hate it when a printer doesn’t do what you want..

Artefil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MX495, MG7550, MG5650, MB2050
To be sure the problem doesn't come from the PSU. Diconnect it, and test it with a multimeter. You must put a voltage of 5 volts between pin 1 and ground (pin 2 or 4); use a 4.5 volt battery for the test (simulating the printer presence), testing "in the air" doesn't work.

Maestro99

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG7550
Hi, I have been searching on Google and found your post (LuixSP) as I have exactly the same problem. I have checked the power source and cable and both appear to be good. I moved the printer (carefully) a few days ago but apart from that everything is as it was when it was working. It starts up with 'Canon' lit up on the screen, the rollers turn, as normal, and exactly 30 seconds after being switched on, it switches itself off! Is there a reset button hidden somewhere?

Many thanks

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
A range of Canon printers is affected by a serious startup/shutdown problem since recently

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/product-advisories/detail/service notice canon inkjet printer continuous reboot loop or powering down

The problem can only be fixed with a firmware update , please check your local/regional Canon support pages for instructions, interim work arounds and download links if already available in your region.

I see these links in a German printerforum linking to U.S. sites since localized information, instructions and downloads are not yet available for all affected models

Downloadlinks, Windows und Mac, US​

Funktioniert es? Wir freuen uns über eine Rückmeldung als Kommentar zu diesem Artikel.

U.S. downloads may not work for printers with firmware of other regions, the status of available and valid infomation will change over the coming days.

Your problem may have another reason nevertheless.

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
The supposed problem seems to affect, among others, the Maxify MB5xxx series. Some of us (The Hat, Stratman, Palombian, myself and a few other users) have been using Maxifys for years and nobody has complained of such issue, Is it only affecting USA models and not other regions ?..or is it only for recently manufactured machines?. Why, if the firmware is the same.

Also, quoting Canon USA, the issue happens after the Canon logo appears on the LCD if the printer is connected to the Internet. Hmmm,, when the Canon logo appears, the machine isn’t connected to the Internet yet because first it needs to initialize the Wi-fi connection, which takes several seconds and then the Canon logo is no longer on screen.

Besides, not a trace of that info yet in a few Canon European sites which I browsed right now. All very strange. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a sneaky trick from Canon to lure diffident users to update the firmware with a newer version, that disables or makes more difficult the use of third party products.

I’m not updating the firmware of my MB5150 and I strongly advice you against it, at least until further and more definite information is released ( not by Canon, but by real users).

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm not a Canon user and cannot report any of such mentioned startup/shutdown problems, It appears to me that the problem occurs most frequently when the printer is connected via WLAN, which may not be the case for all users, and you are not affected at this time.

I only can refer you to the German druckerchannel forum which provides some information - use the Google translate function with the Edge browser or similar, but the web master there as well complains very much about missing information for German/European users

https://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=4625&t=canon_pixma_mx495

https://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=4630&t=printer_shutdown_issue

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
lso, quoting Canon USA, the issue happens after the Canon logo appears on the LCD if the printer is connected to the Internet. Hmmm,, when the Canon logo appears, the machine isn’t connected to the Internet yet because first it needs to initialize the Wi-fi connection, which takes several seconds and then the Canon logo is no longer on screen..
I have my Maxify covered up at all times with a cloth and a stack of paper sitting on it, because I never need to use the scanner on the printer.

When it first turns on following a request to print, only the printer starts up, never the scanner, and the only thing on the LED screen is the word (processing) and the ink status monitor, I never use the LED screen to print from, only the computer, besides the LED screen is hidden under the covered sheet..

If a printer does not complete its boot up, then there is something else causing it to shup down again, you could try going into service mode and try a reset from there, there is also a service tool available for about $10 on line that may help fix the issue.

LuixSP

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma MG7550
When did you discover the issue first, what started it off, you must have noticed something happening on a previous occasion, prior to this current event, like not finishing a print or an on screen alert message, but it sounds to me like the print head is having a hissy fit..

Try unplugging from the power socket for a few minutes and then power on again and see if it clears itself or gives you some sort of message or error..
P.S. I hate it when a printer doesn’t do what you want..
First event was two or three weeks back, when trying to print, I sent the document (being the printer supposedly on) but I got a message it was switched off. Then I switched it on and got a message on the printer screen that it had been improperly disconnected. After switching it on, it worked as usual, until some days ago I tried to switch it on and then powered off suddenly - all softbottons and screen just blacked out.
After one day unplugged from the wall outlet, I have tried to power on and got same result as before. No error message

I am not sure if I will be able to fix it, technical service just told me it’s obsolete and might not have spare parts…

Anyone knows if there is any way to do a hard reset?

LuixSP

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma MG7550
Hi, I have been searching on Google and found your post (LuixSP) as I have exactly the same problem. I have checked the power source and cable and both appear to be good. I moved the printer (carefully) a few days ago but apart from that everything is as it was when it was working. It starts up with 'Canon' lit up on the screen, the rollers turn, as normal, and exactly 30 seconds after being switched on, it switches itself off! Is there a reset button hidden somewhere?

Many thanks
Thanks for the no! That’s interesting, as it reinforces to me the idea of scheduled obsolescence…