Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

Brian L

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG3650S
I found this but it does not put the printer into service mode, it just comes back to the error code.
Is it the incorrect procedure ?

1614797856993.png

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Is it the incorrect procedure ?
My guess is as good as yours. Like you, I would use Google. Someone else on the forum may be able to assist.

I do know that you can lock yourself out of Service Mode incorrectly attempting entry or using the wrong Service Tool previously. Consider holding off on trying again until further guidance.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The service tools only work with Windows. You cannot use Linux or MacOS. You also must use a USB connection, you cannot use wireless even if the printer might have this capability. Also the use of a wrong (too old) version of the service tool will cause loss of access to service mode. Some say that even accessing service mode without using any service tool can lock you out of service mode. Only the printer you want to do service mode operations on must be connected to the computer. Other printers connected to the computer can prevent the service tool from working even if they are not turned on!

I strongly suggest to stop experimenting with service mode until you have a Windows computer with the proper service tool. See the links in this post and notice the possible malware in the service tool, even if it is claimed it is a false positive. So I think you should not borrow a Windows computer but instead try go find an old computer for free. Even an old XP computer will do.

I think the procedure for entering service mode is OK, but for clarity I would change item 5 to Press and release the stop button 6 times....... and maybe the Stop button/field should only be pressed and released 5 times instead of six.