MG6120 printer showing "ink absorber nearly full"

BevG

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG6120
I read with great interest the thread about the MG5250 printer with the same issue. From what I have read, I gather that the MG5250 printer was released a year earlier than my MG6120 (2010 vs 2011). Are those releases close enough that I could use the same information that Dave Bullock was given for his printer? I have downloaded the Service Manual for my printer but wondered about the safety of the Service Tool 3400 (I think it was) for my printer. I've never delved this far into a printer before, so this experience is going to be very interesting!!! Thanks for any suggestions / encouragement / warnings that you can give me.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If so, then maybe our forum Moderator @The Hat can move your post here to that thread.
I have tried, but it’s near impossible to do now with the way the system is currently set up..
Is was easy before the forum was upgraded, after Sumi’s premature departure…:hugs

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
use the same information that Dave Bullock was given for his printer?
No need to wonder. The Service Manual I linked is for the MG6100 series printers and has instructions to enter Service Mode, print out the EEPROM and guidance on deciphering it (like the waste ink counter you want to reset), using a Service Tool, and pictures of taking apart this printer series.

If there is a difference from the Service Manual it might be a part that changed in a manufacturing version update. Doubtful, but if that is discovered then you will have your trusty notes and pictures meticulously recorded if you chose to take apart the printer to clean/replace the waste ink absorber pads. And we're always around to help as best we can. :)

To reinforce again about taking pictures if you take apart the printer - not difficult but is time consuming and the waste ink pads are MESSY!, remember to take pictures that show the orientation a clip, connector or widget is before removing. Some parts are fussy about their orientation to function properly. OK, all parts are fussy about orientation, but, to paraphrase George Orwell in his book Animal Farm, some parts are fussier than other parts.

And if you don't care to take apart your printer, just wanting to reset the waste ink counter, that's OK. Just consider placing a tray or something under the printer if/when ink might overflow the waste ink pads and leak out. It won't be projectile leaking, like Linda Blair vomiting in The Exorcist but a slow dripping over time. Applying Murphy's Law, the leak will be behind or underneath the printer where you cannot see readily and stain your table, desk or floor. ;)