MG5560 refill

F Murtz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP510
Does the MG5560 use the same ink as the MP510 apart from the extra dye black? and can you make it ignore the chip warnings as you can on the MP510 (and any other hints as I am considering buying one)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
No it doesn’t use the same inks, but you can still use the inks from your MP510, you’ll just get a small colour shift that is all, and you can mix the cyan, magenta and yellow together to give you the missing black.

Ignoring the chips can be done but you end up wasting a lot of ink doing that, it would be better to get a good set of compatibles with ARC chips than to continue to use the OEM cartridges.

The MG5560 won’t be a patch on your good old MP510 printer. :(

F Murtz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP510
thanks,somewhere I have a new printer that came after the MP510 with the extra dye black, it also prints CDs (can't remember model No.) but when I moved house I cant find it (probably in one of two shipping containers) but as the printer head on the MP510 seems to be packing it in and new heads cost as much as new printer I was thinking of a new one.
Ps I have some dye black for the missing printer.

F Murtz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP510
PS. How do the arc chips work? at the moment I just fill the tanks without removing them with syringes and putty over the hole at irregular times.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The chips reset on every power up or when you remove the carts for refilling, they are not ideal but they do stop the printer wasting your inks dough.

Filling cartridges while still in the printer is not a good way to maintain your printer and putting putty over the refill hole is not a good option either, use plastic plugs.

If you can at all costs keep the MP510 going that would be a far better option than getting a new printer..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Maybe the ARC chips are the intelligent type, that don't reset when power is removed? You can read more about the intelligent chips here.

There also exists an older type of ARC chips that reset when power is removed from the chips, by removing the cartridge from the printer or by disconnecting the printer from the mains. I guess the old chips will retain their info when the printer is turned off using the printers on/off button with the printer still connected to the mains, as the printer's AC adapter supply stand by voltage(s) when the printer is plugged in.

Refilling the cartridges in the printer is not a good idea as the cartridges will leak when the fill plug is removed
. Instead the cartridge should be removed from the printer and have the ink outlet sealed with the storage clip it came with. When the outlet is sealed the cartridge can be refilled. Don't remove the storage clip before the cartridge is plugged again. It is also necessary to remove the cartridge from the printer to reset the intelligent chip.

The Hat posted while I was typing, so some info is repeated.

Last edited:

F Murtz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP510
The chips reset on every power up or when you remove the carts for refilling, they are not ideal but they do stop the printer wasting your inks dough.

Filling cartridges while still in the printer is not a good way to maintain your printer and putting putty over the refill hole is not a good option either, use plastic plugs.

If you can at all costs keep the MP510 going that would be a far better option than getting a new printer..

F Murtz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP510
Keeping the old 510 going is a problem I have had it for years, all the overflow trays are clagged up I have passed the warning and had to reset and try to clean trays, the black is starting to miss and I am starting to think it is the print head.

F Murtz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP510
More PS (I keep thinking of more after I press the button) Why do they say that the intelligent chips have a certain life of so many refills

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
More PS (I keep thinking of more after I press the button) Why do they say that the intelligent chips have a certain life of so many refills
I have not seen anywhere on the web that the intelligent ARC chips only are good for a limited number of refills. Do you have a link to that info?

I guess the Intelligent ARC chips use flash RAM similar to that used in USB memory sticks. These flash RAM chips will eventually wear out, but I think will they last for so many read/write cycles, that the printer will wear out before the ARC chips fail.