MG5320 PGBK Doesn't Print...er...much...

CharlieSummers

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5320, more
I am referencing the thread at:

http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/pgbk-doesnt-print.9121/

...but I didn't know if I should bump an old thread - OPs, if you prefer to merge, please do and accept my apologies.

I too have a MG5320 with PGBK issues. I think I made a mistake, though, following the suggestions of someone on another board who has a "sooper-sekret" method he will only discuss via email. My problem is not that the PGBK won't print, it will print a page or so immediately after a cleaning cycle, then fade away. Another cleaning cycle, another page or so. I've tried genuine Canon ink carts, replacement ink carts, refillable ink carts, even loud swearing, and no difference. There doesn't seem to be any problem with the dye colors printing, but nothing but nozzle checks until either it's fixed or I've given up completely.

At the suggestion of the person on the other board I removed the printer heads (or rather the mount that contains the heads - never sure if that should be singular or plural) and flushed with hot water until I couldn't flush any more, replaced the mount, loaded ink carts, deep-cleaned, and...pretty much got the same result. I grumbled a bit for following this guy's generic emailed instructions, and ordered a replacement printer (MX922) since I have some DVDs I need to get out ASAP. But I'd still like to fix this one, if it isn't too far gone, since I've grown to like it.

It was only then that I found this board and carefully read the thread I reference above, and have a few questions about it before doing anything else stupid. I am enclosing two photographs with labels I applied - I want those of you with a clue to verify I actually know where the things the folks in that thread referenced really are, and if I'm wrong, correct me. Also, can someone please precisely define, "cleaning fluid" when talking about checking the purge system? I've seen hot water, ammonia-based glass cleaner, alcohol (denatured and even vodka!), and other liquids suggested, and not sure which to use. (I did clean the pads with hot water for the photos just to make 'em look a little pretty.)

20150715_182816_FV5_work.jpg

20150715_182526_FV5_work.jpg

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Hey Charlie,

Ok... first off, if you're getting a print after running a cleaning routine then it's likely that your purging/cleaning system is working fine so put that to one side for the minute.

Given that you've tried OEM carts (I'm assuming you bought a new one?!) and flushing my guess is that you still have a reasonably amount of pigment that's adhered itself into the ink feed channels and while a clean pulls some of it out, the rest settles back in once you start printing.

If that's the case you really need a decent cleaning solution to gently inject into the black receiver, leave to soak in and break things down and then suck back out of the receiver. Don't use iso-propyl or other alcohol on its own as that just dries everything out but look instead for a solution designed for the task. Can't suggest one local to yourself but I'm sure someone on the forum on that side of the Atlantic can suggest something.

Whatever you do though, take your time with it... patience will win out...

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
Id say you have a printhead that cant take the heat. Meaning as you print it gets hot (not sure it that's the proper term) I mean the electronics are giving up.. Have you tried just doing the deep cleaning like you have been doing and then print with the PGBK and then stop.... Let it cool down for say an hour or more and then try and print the same thing again.. If you can get it to print again and then it stops again, Id guess you have a printhead that is about to burnout that particular ink channel. Sorry to say but that is not repairable. Also sorry to but I think that printhead is probably more $ then you paid for the printer.