Method to measure ink colors

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Grandad35 said:
Formulabs CLI-8 Cyan, Photo Cyan, Magenta, Photo Magenta and Yellow were added to the original post and spreadsheet.
Excellent additions Grandad35.

I would like to request an addition to your graphs. Could you please have a graph for each color which overlays/superimposes all the aftermarket inks for a specific color onto the OEM Canon ink for that color. For instance, overlay FormulaLabs, IS, MIS, etc. graphs with their Yellow CLI-8 replacement ink onto the Canon Yellow CLI-8 ink graph. In that way, we can easily eyeball the differences of each similarly designated aftermarket ink curve against each other and to the OEM ink curve.

Thank you again for your great work.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
stratman said:
I would like to request an addition to your graphs. Could you please have a graph for each color which overlays/superimposes all the aftermarket inks for a specific color onto the OEM Canon ink for that color. For instance, overlay FormulaLabs, IS, MIS, etc. graphs with their Yellow CLI-8 replacement ink onto the Canon Yellow CLI-8 ink graph. In that way, we can easily eyeball the differences of each similarly designated aftermarket ink curve against each other and to the OEM ink curve.
Because it is impossible to anticipate everyone's desires in advance, we decided to provide the raw data in a standard format that allows others to quickly and easily analyze the data in any way they desire. One of the main reasons for selecting a spreadsheet is the simplicity of creating/modifying graphs. To add an ink to an existing graph, drag over the spectrum values (rows 7-42 in the selected column), hit "Ctrl-C" (copy), click on the desired graph, then hit "Ctrl-V" (paste). To create a new graph from scratch, just use one of the spreadsheet's many graphing options.

We did try including all of the spectra for one color on a single graph, but judged it to be too cluttered to see any detail. For example, here are the 5 CLI-8Y colors on one graph:

There are still more inks to be added, and the graphs will just become more cluttered as the new data is added.

This project has been a lot of work, and both Canonfodder and I would like to receive feedback on how the data is being used, the conclusions that have been drawn from the data, and specifically how this data supports/contradicts your real-life color matching experience. We would like this thread to become a place to collect experience on which inks give the best color. For those who use Canon's standard printer profiles, this obviously means looking at how well your inks match the OEM colors.

The conventional wisdom is that all of your inks should be from one supplier because they are "balanced" as a set. This may be true if you don't have hard data for each ink, but it is my (as yet untested) opinion that you can improve your color matching by selecting inks from multiple sources based on how well their individual spectra match the OEM spectra.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Any info on how can I produce the color patches myself :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Grandad35 said:
To add an ink to an existing graph, drag over the spectrum values (rows 7-42 in the selected column), hit "Ctrl-C" (copy), click on the desired graph, then hit "Ctrl-V" (paste). To create a new graph from scratch, just use one of the spreadsheet's many graphing options.
Fantastic! I am not an Excel maven and did not know about this capability. That allows me to manipulate the data in the graphs to get the comparisons I want. Thank you.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Smile said:
Any info on how can I produce the color patches myself :)
Canonfodder will soon start writing up his procedure. It took a long time for him to come up with a method that lays down a precise volume of ink uniformly over a fixed surface area, and it requires a lot of care to get it right.

stratman said:
Fantastic! I am not an Excel maven and did not know about this capability. That allows me to manipulate the data in the graphs to get the comparisons I want.
I am also not an Excel maven Canonfodder taught me the ropes. Im glad that you also find this method easy to use - that was the goal.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
We have added Formulabs CLI-8, Inktek BCI-6C/M/Y/K/PM/PC and diluted versions of OEM BCI-6M to the original post and spreadsheet.

Questions:
1. Is there anyone who would be willing to supply samples of OEM CLI-8 (PM/PC/R/G)? We only need about 1 CC of each ink(this small amount could even be blown out of the sponge after the cart has been declared to be empty by the printer). Obviously, this would require someone who uses OEM carts in a PIXMA Pro9000.
2. Is there any interest in testing Hobbicolor C/M/Y/K/PM/PC? Would someone be able to supply the ink samples?
3. Is there any interest in testing G&G prefilled carts C/M/Y/K/PM/PC? Would someone be able to supply the ink samples?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Grandad35:

Thank you for the new data. Looks like Formulabs Yellow CLI-8 ink is the best match to OEM from eyeballing the graphs. MIS CLI-8 ink still appears strong overall to my eye.

One thing I noticed was that the same color was used for graphing CYAN OEMBCI-6C and InkTek BCI-6c.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
stratman said:
One thing I noticed was that the same color was used for graphing CYAN OEMBCI-6C and InkTek BCI-6c.
I'm not surprised - I'm partially color blind and I can't differentiate between some of the chart colors all that well. When I started the spreadsheet, I tried to use a standard color for each ink supplier, but that took too much time as the number of charts increased. Now, I let the spreadsheet program automatically assign the chart colors.

It may seem strange for someone who is color blind to be so concerned about color accuracy, but I have to "do it by the numbers" so that my family doesn't complain about my photos.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Grandad35 said:
I'm not surprised - I'm partially color blind and I can't differentiate between some of the chart colors all that well.
It may seem strange for someone who is color blind to be so concerned about color accuracy, but I have to "do it by the numbers" so that my family doesn't complain about my photos.
Remarkable!

You've got my respect.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Grandad35,

Did you send a mail to Dave from Hobbicolors ? Maybe he can supply you with several small samples for testing for free ? Just mention you are doing it for nifty-stuff.com. I see here on ebay he is referring to on his ads for the UW-8 ink he is selling.