Memjet getting closer to market...this will change everything.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
No matter what the reasons are for not bringing this to market sooner, the fact is that is better to test and improve the technology so that it is problem-free when it gets to market. Tech items that are rushed to marker (remember Vista?) leave a bad taste in consumers' mouths. Imagine if these Memjet printers hit the market, only to develop problems soon afterward. The bad news would tend to hurt or even kill what could be a terrific
leap forward for the print industry.

Apparently these printers are on the market in kiosk-type enterprises, and will be on sale sometime this year to the general population. We've heard that before, but I would rather the bugs be worked out first, even if it takes a while.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
It's like with those "laser TV" - never available in stores. And did I node they said it will be available for less than LCD TV's?
Last time I checked Mitsubishi’s 65-inch LaserVue is 7000$ more than typical plasma I'd say.

So if Memejet entry price is 300$ for a printer nobody will buy the darn thing when you can get normal printers very cheap. Compare how many standard Canon photo quality printers you can buy for 300$ then if you print from them simultaneously you'll see that the print speed is more than 60 pages per minute.

Another problem I see Memjet has CMY and K inks no photo inks? Even gray ink?

If they wanted to be successful to kick ass at big players they should have released 4x6 printers to market for same or a bit higher price than typical canon selphy costs. If ink is not special then it could be sold for cheap. It would turn masses to them in an instant!

If they can't get credit for their project they should change staff, not wait 4 years until their new technology becomes obsolete.
So they think too global or their just stupid imho, because big players had all time they needed to make replica products. If they release theirs we will see simultaneous release from major companies too I think.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
@Smile.. Oh I dunno... If they are sensible they will be aiming at the Officejet market which Epson recently dropped into with the B300 and B500DN models... In that arena and in a lot of business applications they could clean up IF the system worked.

@Manuchau: Completely agree... I can't help but think there is something that will be the fly in the ointment and until we see a release we'll never know.

Right... bed for me... Looong day gone and I'm pooped..

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
This press release looks a lot like the others that we have seen over the past 2 years. I'll believe it when I see it in commercial use.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
We'll see.

From the last paragraph of the article dated April 21 linked below:
ACTIONABLE Intelligence said:
So, is Memjet technology the industrys cold fusion, or will Memjet find revenge a dish best served cold when it finally brings products to market? And will the products prove as revolutionary as once promised and catch on with end users? This is the year we may find answers to the questions Memjet technology poses.
http://www.action-intell.com/2011/04/21/with-help-from-memjet-lomond-looks-to-enter-printer-market/

Like you said, though, believe it when we see it.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
Like grandad said, just more press releases, no prices or availability. Until you can order it, it doesn't exist.

hceuterpe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This is almost starting to sound like Duke Nukem Forever.
I agree with everyone else. I'll be believe it when it's on the market. Until then, it's just marketing buzz.