Memjet getting closer to market...this will change everything.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Yes, it has taken longer to get this technology to market than expected, and we will see if it was worth the wait.

Eight seconds goes by pretty quickly..especially for a large document. Some of my printers already take more time to spool than this one.
I think the biggest problem might be clogging, and the biggest benefit is fewer moving parts, and incredible speed. Businesses will jump on this one, to be sure. Imagine..60 true pages per minute..it's astounding, really.....

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Imagine soaking and pumping this head with a syringe to unclog just a few thousand super small nozzles that make the whole head unusable. I hope theese printers will have a mode to autoprint 1 page a day - just add paper :)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Ah yes... but think also of this...

60 true pages of wet ink that transfers to the back of the page above... or 60 true pages printed with ink that dries so quickly that if you don't print every day the ink dries, clogging the nozzles and it doesn't, erm... actually print a great deal.

I dunno... I still think there's loads of catches waiting in the wing... :)

Moi? Cynical? but of course ... ;)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Good points, websnail. Maybe it will take special expensive ink and special expensive paper.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
What does this printer do that a color laser can't?

1. An inkjet produces superior photo prints to a color laser, but that may largely be due to the randomization of the inkjet that hides minor clogs and variations in the ink output of individual nozzles. Without this randomization, I suspect that the Memjet's photo prints may be similar in quality to those from a color laser.
2. My 6 year old HP B&W laser can print a page per second, not counting the time to spool the data to the printer. As was mentioned above, it takes far longer than this to spool a complicated page.
3. It is generally accepted that a laser has the lowest cost of consumables per page. The cost of prints from a Memjet will depend on the business model of the companies who supply the replacement cartridges, so we will have to wait to get a cost comparison. However, we know that the business models of today's major inkjet printer suppliers don't favor the consumer.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
50ml ink cartridges:
http://www.impactlab.com/2007/05/21/new-memjet-printers/

Low printing cost claimed

Silverbrook has forecast printing costs for the 60 page per minute desktop printer at below $0.02 for black text, and under $0.06 for color pages (with 20 percent ink coverage), according to Lyra Research, which had early access to prototypes.

memjet ink cartridges print heads reference design lyraThe desktop printer's individual color ink cartridges hold 50ml of ink, an almost unprecedented amount in a consumer product, and will sell for less than $20 each, the company predicts. Most existing inkjet printers from companies like Epson use ink cartridges with a capacity of about 10ml, and prices of $15 to $30.

"Silverbrook expect costs of ink and media supplies will be pushing new lows. They're not looking to subsidize their costs with high ink prices, instead they want more of a balance," says Steve Hoffenberg, Lyra's director of consumer imaging research

The privately-held company has not disclosed the identities of investors, but states that "No existing printer company has any stake in the Memjet Companies".

Analysts have suggested that Silverbrook could license its technology to outsiders who are trying to break into the printer market. Dell, which already has a printer business, but owns little of the technology behind it, is one name that has been mentioned.
As found here: http://texyt.com/silverbrook+memjet...sktop+photo+wideformat+hp+edgeline+comparison

http://texyt.com/Is+Silverbrook+high+speed+Memjet+printer+real

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
Another article:

Memjet Refills: What it Means for the Aftermarket

Memjet has posted on its Web site that, Ink cartridges sold by Memjets OEM customers will be able to be refilled via an authorized refill process. While we have not disclosed the details of this process, our intent is to allow third parties to refill our home and office customers ink cartridges through a common authorized process and business model that assures great print quality and performance from our customers printer devices.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
msmart said:
Note the dates on the articles - they are over 2 years old. The patent was granted almost 4 years ago.

Grandad35 said:
Hasn't this been around for a few years, always with the promise "soon"? I note that their business model has apparently changed from building printers to supplying components to others who will build the printers.
This is a long time to market for a breakthrough technology.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Indeed.. and also remember that the consumables costs were suggested when memjet were talking about bringing this out themselves. Now we're talking licensing which is a whole other kettle of kippers.

I can't imagine the big 3 are going to taking this sitting down without some machinations in the side lines...

Yup... You can call Mr Cynic ;)