Mediastreet CIS for R2400 or...

twntrbv6

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've done some research and it seems that the Mediastreet Niagara V CIS setup might be the best for the Epson R2400. If you've tried any CIS on an Epson R1800 or R2400 please comment- I would like to make the best choice. I mostly want to print archivally with good shadow / tone detail on matte paper, so the R2400 seems a better for me compared to the R1800. I will get a profiler to make custom profiles.

It seems rare to find CIS reviews. Please provide links or feedback. Thanks guys!!

esimpson1

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Okay, this is going to sound like a rant, and it is. It's pretty difficult to emotionally detach myself from what I've experienced with this product.

Rant #1: The ink color doesn't even come close to matching the ink from Epson in terms of quality nor color-matching. I didn't expect that the colors themselves would match, but I expected better quality.

Rant #2: While it is a bulk ink system, which is very helpful when you're printing in large quantities, you end up wasting much more ink than you would with Epson. With the ink clogging (That's rant #3) and the color profiling I had to do, I estimate that I probably wasted 3-4 ink cartridges that I would have bought from Epson.

Rant #3: Excessive clogging. My goodness. I know print heads clog from time to time. In fact, HP even includes a new print-head on every one of their ink cartridges (it's one of their selling points and one of the ways they justify the high cost of their replacement ink). But all that aside, the clogging I have experienced in using this ink goes well beyond ANYTHING I have ever experienced. It seems that every time I turned this printer on (MediaStreet recommends turning the printer off to recess the heads and "lock" them so air doesn't cause clogging... Go figure.) Even with the Epson ink, I'd have a clog here and there but it was few and VERY far between.

I can tell you I was exceedingly excited when I ordered this system. No more swapping cartridges every couple of days... No more paying $16 bucks per ink cartridge. This stuff, by weight, is worth more than GOLD.

I have since pulled the Niagara system out of my printer and put the Epson ink back. I should have left well enough alone because I was always more than satisfied with the results that the Epson printer, Epson K3 ink and Epson paper provided.

My advice to all of you is to steer clear of MediaStreet. It was a neat idea, and would have been useful if it hadn't been for the massive problems I encountered. I think we fight enough with our printers just to get prints to match closely to what is on our screen. The last thing we need is something making a bad situation worse.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Interesting feedback... Just out of interest... does anyone know which ink supplier Niagra use?

david1965

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
really sorry to hear this, but you need to keep it in mind, using cis is not as easy as cartridge so it does take time to get used to it.

paul55555

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Have anyone has Install CIS for Epson R280?
I already tried twice but failed. The printer cannot recongized the chips.
Can anyone tell me where can I get the CIS for Epson R280 that works?
Which one is better, CIS or refillabel ink cartridge?
Thanks

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
paul55555 said:
Have anyone has Install CIS for Epson R280?
I already tried twice but failed. The printer cannot recongized the chips.
Can anyone tell me where can I get the CIS for Epson R280 that works?
Which one is better, CIS or refillabel ink cartridge?
Thanks
Right now the R280 seems to be too new for chips to be available... If anyone has the chips and is selling them it'll be a Lyson system... Most ebay sellers will say they support the R280 just to make a sale and chips will probably not work.

If I hear of any compatible chips I'll let you know on a thread which starts with "Epson R280"...

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The R280 can work with up to date chips.
It's likely that what was purchased was based on low price. The chips for compatibles especially the newest models command high prices. Older outdated chips command lower prices because essentially they are dead stock and are worth a lot less. These are snapped up by sellers and resold to unwary customers who don't get further support.
It is no wonder that many purchase items based on the lowest price they find and assume they are all the same. They are not always.

Did you by any chance just purchase a new R280 and then dropped in the CIS?

paul55555

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I purchased the R280 from CC and CIS from Ebay claiming it works for R280.
I tried many times and still cannot able to recognize the chips.
First time, it broke the print's head and have it send back to Epson for replacment.
Second time, Ebay seller claims that I got the wrong ARC.
I tried it again, same problem. (GIVE UP)
I returned it back (waste shipping fees and time)
I just want to know if there any CIS that will works and where can I buy it
Thanks

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
So far all the chips for the R280 have worked for me.
The question is did you ever install original cartridges into the R280 before attempting to use compatibles?

paul55555

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Yes, I have printed about 1/4 of ink before installing the CIS for R280.
The installation looks easy and I believe I installed correctly.
The printer cannot recongizes the chip but when I installed back the original, then it recongizes
Maybe the Ebay sold me the incompatibles CIS or I'm missing some installation steps?
Any advises, like installation procedures or trouble shoot would be greatly appreciated
Thanks